caad 10 Vs orbea onix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OrPe

by OrPe

Hi,

For a friend entering road cycling, there are two (second hand) options
- CAAD10 / 105 (2013-ish) with upgraded ultegra wheelset (i think its the 6700 wheelset)
- Orbea Onix / ultegra 6700 (2010). bonty race x lite.

the caad is highly regarded, for the onix i could not find solid reviews..

Anyone that has ridden both, what's your take?

(Assume both fit the same)

thanks
Oren

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gordon

by gordon

Go the CAAD. I had an onix, a very soft front triangle. The CAAD would be much stiffer. Never ridden a CAAD but I do ride a Canyon AL which is comparable to the CAAD.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I ride a CAAD, and I test rode an Onix a while back. CAAD is hands down a superior bike. This decision requires 0 thought if both bikes are the correct fit for your friend.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OrPe

by OrPe

Thanks.
will follow these advises :)

ninjaman

by ninjaman

The CAAD10 frame is popular among a huge percentage of racers here in NYC, esp. considering performance/cost ratio and ease of replacement. One of the most responsive I've ridden, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Sorry OrPe, I don't have any saddle time on the Orbea Onix. But I have had considerable time on the CAAD10. For me, I would go with the CAAD10 hands down. It is a race frame, yet is comfortable. Also does a splendid job of getting the power to the ground.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but if he is looking at second hand options and the CAAD10 frame geometry suits him, I might recommend that he takes a look at the SystemSix Hi-Mod as another valid option. I think the SystemSix is a much better frame than the CAAD10 overall. Can find them on eBay or CL for decent deals. If he isn't against it, he could piece together a decent build himself. I saw a 56cm (non-HM) go for $275 the other day on eBay. Frame was in great shape. Just a thought. But in summary, I don't think he can go wrong with the CAAD10 at all. :thumbup:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."