New Ti frame came in under speculated weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

I just recieved my new Ti frame from Mike Desalvo the other day and It came in under the projected weight. It is a Traditional frame(I like the horz. TT), round tubes with a 55 cm TT,53cm ST,166mm HT, S-bend seat stays and 7/8" chain stays and an oversized down tube. He was thinking it would be around 3.3# to 3.4#. It came out to 1409 grams with the 2 cable adjusters and 4 water cage bolts installed.
His work is top notch and he was a joy to deal with.
I will be building this up with a record 10 set with red bling to some of the small parts, a Ritchey Pro UD fork,3t cockpit,Cane Creek 110 HS and one of a few set of wheels that I have lying around.

I will snap some pics in the next day or three.

Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Wow... only twice the weight of a good carbon frame! :P

Just sayin' - this is weight weenies!

skiezo

by skiezo

darnellrm wrote:Wow... only twice the weight of a good carbon frame! :P

Just sayin' - this is weight weenies!

When you have been riding as long as I have been you seem to know what you want out of a bike and the ride qualities that you are looking for. I could not find them in the light weight carbon bikes out there. I have test ridden over 30 bikes in the last year or 2 and still like the ride qualities of a quality custom TI frame. Built up it will be sub 15 pounds.
The most comfortable bike for me at 51 years old is gonna be different than yours. My 2007 bianchi 928 lugged carbon is a dream to ride and the geometry fits my body. I can still do 150 mile charity ride on that bike without issue.
By first real bike was in 1978. It was a 1978 Basso ascot with 7 speed DA,down tube shifters and mavic GP4 tubies and I raced that for 2 years. At 20# that was light for its time.