Campy chainring weights? (or how much does a PM add?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

makoti

by makoti

I'm thinking about getting one of the new Power2max S type cranksets for Campy. I am wondering how much weight these things add. The weight listed of the p2m is @ 636 for crank arms, power meter, axle, and bearings, but does not include rings (kind of useful, those things). Chorus Crankset is listed at 667 on the Campy site. Rings? I can find them, but never a listed weight. Anyone know? Compact 50/34.
Or, simply, about how much weight does one of the crank-based systems add?
It's either this or a PowerTap carbon wheel, which are surprisingly close in cost.
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bangkok

by bangkok

The Competitive Cyclist website shows SR11 outer ring at 96g/53t ...but no weight shown for inner; so you can estimate by proportion.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/campa ... -S53T135MM

Privateer

by Privateer

The power2max website lists the Type S 110bcd for Rotor as being 174g. I would expect the different versions to weigh about the same.

The Rotor P2M replaces the Rotor removable spider, so you'd need to subtract the weight of that to determine how much weight is added. I have a Rotor spider somewhere that I can weigh for you if you want a more precise idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

My Campy P2M crank weighed 182 grams more. My regular crank is Ti and the P2M is steel. That accounts for some of the weight difference.

Forgot to say that the P2M crank weighs 631 grams. That is crank, fixing bolt, spider and bearings.

makoti

by makoti

Ok, this is good. So it looks to be somewhere around 170-200 grams, maybe even 140-170, since I don't have the Ti version. That's not as bad as I expected.
@nlouthan - you already got one of the new cranks? That's great! How is it? Very interested in hearing feedback on it.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Yes, I got mine about 2 weeks ago, but only got it mounted last Friday. It's very, very nice. Looks and feels top quality. So far, I only have one 100k ride on it. It worked flawlessly. I'm using a Garmin 500 and the P2M paired instantaneously.

The only issue I've had is with the chain ring bolt for the hidden mount. It requires a special nut/bolt combo that Campy makes. I was able to order some from SRM. I'm in the U.S., and the P2M distributor in Canada is now aware of this and said they'll be including the bolt in future shipments. Apparently my unit was the very first one sold as a crank only and they weren't aware of the issue. Overall, not a big deal. The other four bolts are the stock Campy ones that thread into the small ring.

I'll try to get a pic in the next day or so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

makoti

by makoti

Looking forward to the pic!