Dynamo Hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

I am building a winter trainer. Quite high end parts for a dirty weather bike, so it will be quite light.

I am debating fitting a SON dynamo hub and Edelux 2 LED light.

I don't ride at night, but often in the early mornings, at dusk on the way back home and on dull days, when cars might have dipped headlights on.

The advantage of the dynamo option is self sufficiency and the disadvantage is weight and a bit of drag. Even through the SON Delux is light for a Dynamo hub, it is still close to 400gm. Arguably on a training bike, the slight weight penalty shouldn't matter, but we are talking about close to a 1/2kg difference all in with fittings and the lamp itself.

The bike is something of an all rounder, and might be used for credit card touring in the future, but most of the time will be used for wet weather riding.

It is a quality piece of kit, but is it worth the weight penalty?

Anybody use one themselves?

Should I just buy a decent battery light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Go for it, they're great to use...I was so sick of replacing batteries and you can also charge your iPhone as you ride so it can be used for long rides without worrying about it dying...

http://www.sinewavecycles.com/collectio ... revolution

RussellS

by RussellS

I use a Shimano generator hub for my lights. I also have a battery light. The battery light is brighter. But the convenience of the generator light outweighs the battery. Would hate to go with a battery only. With a generator light you never have to worry about running out of light. Its always at full strength. Weight is immaterial when you have a bright light.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Agree with RussellS...I also have a back light connected too and both the front & rear run for approx 5-10 mins after you come to a stop so you feel safe while waiting at stop lights etc.

Any drag in the front hub isn't noticeable too...