Sram red aero 10 speed derailleur and new 11 speed shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Daley400

by Daley400

Hi all,

I'm new :D . I have the pleasure of now owning Ian stannard s dogma Brit champ bike.... Amazing on 11 speed dura ace di2.

All due to an insurance pay out as I wrote off my last bike.

My question, I have a training bike on sram red 10 speed. Rear and front derailleur are 10 speed and relatively new - can I use the new sram red 11 speed shifters with these 2 items? Thanks

aaric

by aaric

Rear derailleur will work perfectly (I have both a red 22 and a 10s aeroglide running with red 22 shifters, and cannot tell any difference whatsoever between them other than a 22 painted on the red 22 derailleur). Front derailleur will most likely work: the 11s cage shape is slightly different, and works better in my experience: Probably worth updating it to either the force or red 22 version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

I ran the 10 speed Yaw FD with 11 speed campy, no issues. I plan on running it on an 11 speed sram TT bike, will report back on those results.

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

So you guys are saying 10 speed rear derailleurs work with 11 speed shifters? Do you just have an extra click at the top or bottom of the cassette?

eric

by eric

You'd need to use 11sp cassettes and chain, and it'd make an 11sp system. The indexing is in the shifter.

1415chris

by 1415chris

So you are saying that both Red 10s and 11s RD have the same geometry?

aaric

by aaric

I'm actually saying any rear derailleur with exact actuation will work with a red 22 shifter.

The specs for the shifters actually say as much: "COMPATIBILITY SRAM RED 22 & Force 22 Yaw™ Front Derailleurs, Exact Actuation™ Rear Derailleurs"

http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... p-shifters

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

well that's awesome to know. Now all i need are... shifters.

now what's the difference in the Front 10s and 11s Derailleurs?
Last edited by nathanong87 on Fri May 09, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaric

by aaric

Cage shape. There's a ridge that's more pronounced in the 11s yaw derailleurs - I assume it helps to move the chain better, as the 11s outer width is slightly narrower. Its hard to see without actually holding them side by side, but its definitely different. I'd planned to test width with a micrometer, but the eyeball test showed they were different, so I didn't bother.

I tried using the 10 spd one on my second bike, but the shifting wasn't quite up to snuff. Replaced it with the 11s one, and fiddled a bit, and got adequate shifting. That being said, the second bike uses 36/52 rings, and has always been a bit more finicky than my other bike running a standard 39/53.

apotekar

by apotekar

Hope you don't mind me using this thread - I was thinking if I could replace my rear derailleur for the new 11spd one - in other words would the 11spd rear derailleur work in otherwise full 10spd setup?

Cheers, A.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Yes it will.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

I'm currently using force 22 shifter and rear derailleur with 10speed cassette and chain. Its perfectly functional but you do have the additional index which makes shifting sometimes feel like it doesn't have enough cable tension when it does.

When setting it up I tried shifting once before securing cable, but it didn't work
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

highdraw

by highdraw

prebsy wrote:I ran the 10 speed Yaw FD with 11 speed campy, no issues. I plan on running it on an 11 speed sram TT bike, will report back on those results.

Question about Sram Yaw FD with 11 speed Campy driveline please. In your experience did the Sram Yaw FD with Campy Ultashift work better than the Campy 11s FD? Reason I ask is in theory, when riding all Campy 11s some trimming is necessary if running across the entire cassette if on the inner chain ring...even though I rarely do. I know the Sram Yaw FD is touted as NO need to trim...the point of the cage rotating inducing a Yaw change as one looks down from above....thereby promoting clearance not to rub as the chainline changes across the cassette whilst on the inner chain ring...big ring same thing of course.

Any wisdom you can impart here?...of course pull ratio comes into play as well...does the Sram Yaw FD require more or less cable pull for the same horizontal travel compared to a Campy 11s FD which moves laterally pretty smartly with an economical level push.

Many thanks

addictR1

by addictR1

holy cow.. i'm rubbing my eyes now to see if i've read it correctly. on my scott addict with 10speed Red groupset.. i just need to change to a Red22 shifter and run a 11speed cassette + chain with my existing 10sp RED RD and i'm good to go as 11speed?

Rick

by Rick

addictR1 wrote:...with 10speed Red groupset.. i just need to change to a Red22 shifter and run a 11speed cassette + chain with my existing 10sp RED RD and i'm good to go as 11speed?

That's the way I see it too, and I am in a similar situation.
But it is Shifters + 11speed cassette + 11 sp chain+make sure you have an 11 sp compatible wheel.
In my case it would mean a new powertap freehub unit, so roughly 300+100+50 +90 = ~$550. (depending on discount sales) I am still wondering if one more gear is worth it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com