External Headset options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

So I received my new ti frame and am looking at HS options. It is for a standard external HS. I am looking at CK,CC,Hope,KCNC and maybe Tune.
I am looking for a low stack height as the new frame has a 167mm HT. Weight will also be taken into consideration but not a deal breaker.
So having said that I have had CK for years with zero issues but want to keep my options open.
Looking at either black or red,not sure on that yet.
Leaning toward CC tho.

Thanks Brian

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There was a thread recently talking about the unsightly gap at the top of the fork when paired to a CK external HS.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/gap-due-ck-baseplate-bevelling-fork-normal-thing-322941.html

You might want to look into that.

And Cane Creek as an option too.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Extralite Head 2 might be a nice WW option.

But I would not overthink this too much. CK is the right choice in terms of pure durability. It truly is a "set and forget" part of the highest quality.

The link to the above story on the gap seems to show a fork that is designed for an integrated headset frame that was mounted on a standard external headset frame. Nothing really wrong with that. I assume your frame has a proper fork for external headsets.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

A few years ago I was trying to figure out what the difference was between an "integrated" and "non-integrated" fork.

I believe the only difference is in the shape of the "shoulder" of the fork, with integrated being squared off, and non-integrated being rounded.

Above this there is no difference, ie the fork race area and above would be the same on both types, and either type will fit. The difference is aesthetic only.

That's a long way of saying that I don't believe that the gap in the example in the link is anything to do with the fact that it's an integrated fork. It would be the same with non-integrated. (If you can find one).

One.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

True, there is a gap due to the design, but a fork designed for external headsets has a shape that flows better (aesthetically) into the headtube. Agreed, no real difference in performance.

boots2000

by boots2000

Just get a King and be done with it.

KB

by KB

If you want a low stack height, would recommend the Extralite. I have two of them and they work fine. CK's are fine, but I think there's also hype with them.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

If you don't need the super-low stack then CK is certainly fit and forget.

For lowest height, I have had a lot of success with Extralite. Great quality.

skiezo

by skiezo

I got a deal on a Cane Creek 110 from my LBS. They had one on a demo bike that there were parting out.
The stack on this HS is 16mm.

Thanks Brian

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

skiezo wrote:I got a deal on a Cane Creek 110 from my LBS. They had one on a demo bike that there were parting out.
The stack on this HS is 16mm.

Thanks Brian

You really meant "Thanks Julio?" :)

And Cane Creek as an option too.

One.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cane Creek do a lovely external headset as well if you like to spend. I do not bother with CK parts in the main why I have a Token headset in my MTB and it has been there for years through mud, floods and all kinds it still works. It is a headset two bearings on races it is not hard to make a good one without spending a fortune. Still the Cane creek and the CK one are prettier. The most expensive headset I own is an FSA orbit 1" and I spent too much on that too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

The Tune headset is really nice, comes with a split crown race and,the compression ring is more kind to carbon steerers than the CK solution. I've had mine on a MTB for about six years, it's very close to a smooth as new, been riding,year around in Swedish climate. I'd say its really a high quality kit. I've had lots and lots of CK units too over the years.

Regarding a headset just being a headset and anyone that doesn't fail will do the job. Well, you could say the same thing about framesets or kitchen knifes, and there would be about as much truth to it... Nice buttery headsets make for nicer feeling bikes.