Colnago C59 Disc...Worth it...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hepe10ab

by hepe10ab

Hi guys,

What do you guys think of Colnagos C59 Disc version...? is it worth the extra pennies...?

Anyone who has the bike....?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Djo

by Djo

Have a c59 eps disc and a c59 mechanical, ride both regularly

Disc brakes are massively superior, modularity and control is a generation ahead. Rear brake can pull with complete control.

Down side, weighs more, noisy and when climbing out of saddle I notice flex in the discs.

In 9 months I've worn through first set of discs. The spring mech in the focus bb67 pads is weak and there's not much tolerance in the gap. Takes a while to set up properly and you're best off doing it yourself if you're happy to bleed the hydrolics.

I ride up and down the hill I live on daily, in traffic, on a beach. I've spent a while pondering if I would buy discs again. Every time I feel the disc brakes pull going down I know I would.

eigner

by eigner

Could you eliminate some of your issues with the disc installed on your c59 eps, by replacing the stock calipers pads and discs with, say XTR components?
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

mjduct

by mjduct

Different lever ratios between mtb and road, probably different reservoir/piston issues as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

hepe10ab wrote:Hi guys,

What do you guys think of Colnagos C59 Disc version...? is it worth the extra pennies...?

no. heavy frame.
http://eliflap.it/

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I ride a c-59 with mechanical group set and shimano ulegra caliper brake set up. The braking control is so good that I can't imagine the need to spend more. Also think that Colnago was still tinkering with frame and fork design and how to deal with the extra stress from the disc brakes; I see they stiffened up the bike for 2014 and then made more change for it on the C-60. C-59 is a great bike, but adding disc brakes could detract from that impression. Also disc brakes add maintenance issues to a bike, calipers are much simpler.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stats

by Stats

I don't know what the price difference is, but if you're looking to get a C59 disc - I'd be looking to go for the C60 mechanical instead if they're similar in price.

I don't like disc brakes for road... I have hydraulic disc brakes on my mountain bike and whilst power and modulation are far superior, they're just a complete pain in the ass to maintain. It's not worth the trade off at all IMO... I've never had a hydraulic disc brake bike that has not had problems at some point; I've never had a cable rim brake road bike that I have had problems with.