Custom Stainless Steel Frame Builders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KB

by KB

I've had a few frames from Caygill's in Richmond. However, Richard Kent, the framebuilder at that time, left a few years ago to take up a teaching post. Not sure who builds them now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

digger wrote:Great to hear that KW is still going strong. Have fond memories of his frames, when I was a Youth rider. Hopefully take the plunge on getting a custom frame in the future. Is he still making alloy frames? Have you got any photos of the Spirit? DW

Latest pic of my Kevin Winter:

neeb

by neeb

I can definitely recommend Enigma, very happy with my custom XCR. But given where you are based you should certainly check out Shand:

http://www.shandcycles.com/

Although you have to search for it on the website they will do custom:

http://www.shandcycles.com/custom/custom-frames/

Gregg

by Gregg

KB wrote:
digger wrote:Great to hear that KW is still going strong. Have fond memories of his frames, when I was a Youth rider. Hopefully take the plunge on getting a custom frame in the future. Is he still making alloy frames? Have you got any photos of the Spirit? DW

Latest pic of my Kevin Winter:

very nice bike KB does Kevin Winter paint his own frames? I've tried Google images for his frames and there isn't many pictures of them which is a shame.

Dammit

by Dammit

Rourke would be happy to TIG a frame to your requirements I would think?

I'd probably go for them as they have a lot of experience of stainless- which is an absolute bugger to work with and cracks for fun, it would seem.

Having just typed the above, one of my criteria for choosing a frame builder would be "what (if any) warranty is offered?"

digger

by digger

KB wrote:I've had a few frames from Caygill's in Richmond. However, Richard Kent, the framebuilder at that time, left a few years ago to take up a teaching post. Not sure who builds them now.

Great bike! Dream bike.... What material is it?

jooo

by jooo

@KB - did you have the QRC cranks polished yourself or were they some kind of special order from Extralite?

Dammit wrote:...stainless- which is an absolute bugger to work with and cracks for fun, it would seem.

I was thinking about this in relation to this part of the 1st post.

campbellrae wrote:I'm looking at getting a custom frame built, using stainless steel(something like Reynolds 953). Main reason for not going to Ti is I don't think I would be able to justify the increase in price over stainless steel for the small decrease in weight.

TIG'd 953 is not really a cheaper alternative to Ti. The tubeset is just as expensive and even more difficult to work with. Unless you were thinking of using something that is cheaper and easier to work with, you may as well end up using Ti. There is probably a better selection of tubing to choose from and much of it comes with a similar price tag.

KB

by KB

jooo wrote:@KB - did you have the QRC cranks polished yourself or were they some kind of special order from Extralite?

No, I had the cranks polished. Same with the Extralite stem I have on my Enigma (built in Spirit, same as my Winter). I also had my Cannondale SISL's polished as well. I'm always changing the way parts look.

Had my Winter on the scales yesterday and it came out at 7.01kg, and it can be brought down a bit further. One time, with very light wheels it was 6.48kg. So, steel can be made up into a light bike, just not as light as carbon, but in general I prefer the ride qualities of steel.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

KvnP wrote:Spectrum - Strong - Crisp

Just to clarify, Crisp is not doing stainless. My heart went all aflutter when I read that and I asked him directly.
Nope, no steel for quite some years apparently.
Not to hijack this thread, but Darren is a super nice chap and his ti creations are stunning.