I think my Tarmac comp frame has a crack?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

I had booked my bike in to be looked at tomorrow, I thought that the bottom bracket needed adjusting, recently I had started to hear a clunking sound when pedalling. So today I gave the bike a quick clean and check over. And to my horror, I found what I believe to be a crack above the none drive side of the bottom bracket.

The bike just over 1 year old, I've ridden about 2000+miles. Very well serviced and regularly cleaned. I'll be contacting the shop that I bought it off, first thing tomorrow morning. The only problem is, they are about 2hrs drive away. Could I take it to any Specialized main dealer to have a look at, and to carry the warranty claim work? A bit disappointed with the frame, as it's not been mis abused and I'm not a heavy person, 62Kg.

Thank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Any Specialized dealer can take care of this for you and should be a quick process.

mrd

by mrd

Lifetime warranty on frame if you are the first owner and there is no evidence of crash/accident damage or misuse?

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

According to Mike Sinyard, when the Cafe Roubaix debacle came around, his initial statement was that Spesh took action to protect the brand from counterfeiters as they had a client return a frame that had suffered a catastrophic failure and he was shocked that a Spesh frame would break to the point that he lost sleep over it! This was more of his bullshit!

Just read this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... els-36271/

and if you read the bike industry publications, this is not the only recall they and some of the other big brands have had to make.

Unfortunately people are blinded by the hype. With Specialized you don't get what you pay for! Overpriced -underbuilt......
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

mambo wrote:According to Mike Sinyard, when the Cafe Roubaix debacle came around, his initial statement was that Spesh took action to protect the brand from counterfeiters as they had a client return a frame that had suffered a catastrophic failure and he was shocked that a Spesh frame would break to the point that he lost sleep over it! This was more of his bullshit!

Just read this:

and if you read the bike industry publications, this is not the only recall they and some of the other big brands have had to make.

Unfortunately people are blinded by the hype. With Specialized you don't get what you pay for! Overpriced -underbuilt......

Having been in the industry for over 20 years and sold Specialized for most of that time I have to call BS on this. I don't agree with their recent legal bullying but they do stand behind their product which is anything but overpriced or under-built.

emartin

by emartin

The one year old Specialized Venge S-work of a teammate had a crack at the BB, everything should be resolve within a week, we'll see.

I had a small issue with a rivet on my 2011 Giant ADV SL and the everything was done in less than a working week...

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

mambo wrote:According to Mike Sinyard, when the Cafe Roubaix debacle came around, his initial statement was that Spesh took action to protect the brand from counterfeiters as they had a client return a frame that had suffered a catastrophic failure and he was shocked that a Spesh frame would break to the point that he lost sleep over it! This was more of his bullshit!

Just read this:

I'm sorry you feel this way. This is also false. But believe what you will.

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

I've had to e-mail Specialized uk to confirm the warranty work. I did contact a Specialized concept store to ask about the warranty on the frame, they have refused to carry out the work. They told me that I had to take it back to the shop that I bought it from. About an extra 2hrs drive, so just waiting for a reply off their warranty department, fingers crossed. As my frame is the older fact8r, which model will they replace it with?

Thank you.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Perfectly reasonable. Concept stores are not Specialized owned. The original store is responsible.

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Agree.

We will carry out warranty work on bikes bought elsewhere, but charge the labour to do so. If you bought the bike from us, labour is free. If the customer doesn't like this they can take it to the shop they bought it from and see what they say. The customer comes first, and I assume you're not a big customer of the concept store as you bought the bike elsewhere.

In my experience Specialized are very helpful and sort warranty issues very quickly. Build quality is also amongst the best of the mass produced.

allenpg

by allenpg

How the bike industry handles warranties like this is very interesting vs the auto industry. For example, I can take my Toyota to any Toyota dealer for warranty work and they don't care where I purchased it as they are getting reimbursed by Toyota. In fact, they are probably ecstatic to have me there and will try to get me to bring my car back there for non-warranty work vs the dealer where I originally purchased it.

I know the bike industry doesn't have profit margins like the auto industry. Things might be different if the manufacturers reimbursed shops for labor related to warranty work.

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Well I finally received the bike back. Very good Service from both the store (Evans Cycles, Liverpool). And Specialized UK. The frame was replaced under warranty, with a Tarmac Race 2013 frame. I had never seen this colour before, apparently it's an American spec, could be wrong? But here are some pictures showing the new frame.

I wasn't too keen at first, but I quite like it now. I like the fact that you can see the carbon weaving under a lacquer. I'll be changing the stem to a black S works to complete the front end of the bike. But every other component of my old bike, has blended in OK.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Always great to hear when a manufacturer makes things right. :thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.