ZIPP VUMA QUAD Bearings NEED REPLACEMENT/LOOK 595

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

Hello

SO I think my ceramic Zipp Vuma Quad bearing s might be in the way out.... heard a tocking all day today per rorattion on ride and can't see anything else the matter. Sucks. Worst in largw-ring and standng, seemed to quiet down once pedaling for a while or in smaller ring, but consistently there overall and pedals don't seem to tbe loose/axle etc.... not sure what else it could be... Been riding these bearings since 2010 or so....many miles so not totally impossible to imagine.

Any suggestions for replacements? ie Non Zipp.....? Lightweight (obviously), durable, smooth etc?

Might it be possible to use press-fit to have wider BB options? Whats best of so?

Not much knowledge about this area if bike....

thanks
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Asking very politely if you did a search ;)

The cranks use a BB30 bearing and these come in a variety of sorts.

search.php?keywords=zipp+vuma+quad+bearings&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

gitsome

by gitsome

Hello

I did! Thanks Mr B ;) Just got confusing and thought maybe by now there was/might be a consensus around this topic....I know its been rehashed many times...damn BB's....thanks though.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

welcome... sorry.

damn bb's indeed.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

eric

by eric

Lots of manufacturers make 30mm ID BB30 bearings in external BSA cups.

The least expensive I have found are on bdopcycling.com

I think that Enduro has a new bearing puller that will remove the bearings from these type of external cups. Then you can use 6806 BB30 bearings.

gitsome

by gitsome

Thanks. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble or just buy a new set of Zipps for 100+ and just call it a day.... and if I have $$ next year upgrade to SR11..

gitsome

by gitsome

PS

Also looks like Enduro make a nice bb also that might be worthwhile.. xd-15...? Anyone?

eric

by eric

The Enduro XD-15 using angular contact ball bearings sounds like a good idea. But that BB will not work with your 30mm spindle. edit- looks like they have BB30 (6806) angular contact bearings. You'd need to pull the bearings from your cups and press the new ones in.

Last I looked, 2-3 years ago, the Zipp VumaQuad 30mm ID BB was only available with ceramic bearings and was quite expensive.

gitsome

by gitsome

I have no idea...., BB is a field of bicycle knowledge I have been relatively ignorant of until now. These are probably 2009-10 Vumas with the ceramic gold cups... I thought I was NOT able to pull out the bearings and would have to completely replace the whole setup (unscrew cups et all) . Are you saying keep the cups/races and just insert new bearings and grease? What if races/cups are damaged -- is that something one can necessarily see? Or just get a whole new cup and bearings assembly and install that and be done w the Zipp altogether? Replacement Zipp ceramics are just over 100 and steele just under....

Not sure whats going on w these yet. Im going to switch pedals and rear-wheel one last time to try to isolate it but I am 90% sure the tocking-sound is emanating from the BB area.. maybe I will drop a dropor two of lube into BB junction area to to see if that makes any difference.

eric

by eric

Zipp ceramics are just over $100? And the steel bearings are available? I'd get one of those then.

When I was using the Zipp Vuma Quad BBs for my Lightnings the ceramics were $220 or so and the steel if you could find them were around $120.

The enduro removal tool is around $120. You'd probably need to remove the cups from the frame to use it. It's much easier to change the cups with bearings installed than to remove and replace the bearings in the cups. The bearings are sealed bearings. You'd have to remove the seals to grease the bearings and in my experience with bearings this small it is difficult to R&R the delicate seals without damaging them. I can do it on larger motorcycle wheel bearings but not on these.

To really find out what's going on with the noise noise it's best to remove the crank, check the bearings by hand, torque the cups to spec, then install the crank and torque it to spec, greasing whatever needs it on the way. A click/clunk is often a loose crank. Don't ride on that, you can destroy the mating surfaces and thus the crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Thanks, will see what i can find. And yeah replacement Zipp cups w bearings are not so expensive anymore (if they ever were) around $100...if it comes to that