BMC Granfondo GF01 Owners: Thoughts/Reviews/Regrets?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SGMD

by SGMD

It's time to replace my circa 2008 BMC Pro Machine. I like the BMC brand and quality, and I am strongly considering a GF01 as an all-around bike.

I don't race anymore but still have a decent engine. My rides are generally 2-4 hours, and terrain is mostly rolling, up/down, lot's of short (< 1K) and sharp (10-18%) climbs. Plus the occasional dirt or gravel road. I am good on power climbs and the flats/rollers, generally lots of watts and lower cadence - pretty much of a rouleur.

The GF01 geometry can work for me with judicious stem choice. The enhanced comfort isn't really a huge factor for me, it is more of a bonus.

I am also considering the new SLR01, but the GF is about $2K cheaper for the frameset.

How are current or past GF01 owners getting along with their bikes? Any regrets or things that you can advise me on, and any thoughts relative to the SLR01?

Many thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

I have one and I'm very happy with it. It is definately more compliant then other frames. I have a set of 24mm Continental tires on it now and it's very comfy. I even go off road with it from time to time. Which can get a little sketchy with the 24mm tires, but was more then doable with the 28mm tires it came equiped with. It's a lot of fun passing mtb riders with a road bike :D But I do have a mtb racing background, so that probably helps too :D The weight is pretty impressive also.

About the geometry: The toptube is very short, so you will need a long stem. I have a 54cm frame with a 13cm stem. The headtube is pretty tall too, but not as bad as with some of the other comfort oriented bikes on the market.