Scott Addict R1 weight gain.. [warranty replacement frame]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

n808

by n808

I bought I new-in-box Scott Addict R1 frameset - it is a warranty replacement 2011 model, threaded BB shell, that the previous owner no longer needed after getting another frame.

From what I read the frameset is spec-ed as low as 790gr, for the smaller sizes, but from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81570
I read that the same size I got, 58cm, should weight 872gr, with an uncut fork weight of 318gr.

When I weighed the frame I received, I was a little disappointed to find the frame weighed 1010gr, and the uncut fork 390gr.

Did Scott decide to save on manufacturing of warranty replacement frames and that's why the frame and fork has gained 138 + 72 = 210gr total? Or perhaps they decided to reinforce them a little, to avoid too many more warranty replacements? It's not a lot, but we are weight weenies, after all..

EDIT: I seem to have found the explanation here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104332&start=15

So there are a few explanations
1. When the new generation of addicts came out, the framesets got about 100g/80g heavier without telling anyone/advertising so.
3. Warranty replacement frames sent out were one-offs that were heavier than advertised due to a inavailability of stock because of a transition to the Foil framesets

The price was pretty good - same as a Chinese Hongfu frame would have cost, so I am not going to be too disappointed, even though the frame is probably not HMX fibers, but rather the cheaper HMF, and not as superlight as I had expected based on all the good reviews from when it came out.

Photo: http://imgur.com/gqfsNuQ.jpg
Weight: http://i.imgur.com/woXioep.jpg
Last edited by n808 on Sun May 04, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Hi, I bought what seems to be the exact same frame and paint job a yr ago. Was sold under Scott dealership as HMX model. 100% bare frame was 939g and uncut fork was 390. I was iniatially disappointed, but have seen the same frame size vary between 910-960g, high 800's seems unfeasible unless it was 2008-9 model. Unfortunately I don't have scale shots any more.

I suspect that yours may be a repainted R2/3 HMF model as mine is press-fit BB as is all other R1 models of that year.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

n808

by n808

Thanks for your reply, Asymptotic. That helps me adjust my expectations. Fork weight is normal, while the frame is only 50-100gr too heavy, and possibly a repainted R2/3 model. The threaded BB actually fit me well, as it allows me to re-use my existing crank without a 40gr adapter. So all in all, not too bad after all.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

lannes

by lannes

Not sure, but I thought all Addict's were press fit BB's after 2008, is yours an earlier model ?

n808

by n808

I am not 100% sure the model year, but 2011 was the first year they used that paint scheme, to the best of my knowledge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

I heard back from Scott USA - since the frame was someone else's warranty replacement, that I bought off eBay, they really did not have to answer me at all, so I am happy just hearing back from them.

They wrote that they can order frames from their factory according to customers' requests, and that warranty replacements are exact replicas of the original frames. So it's likely my frame was originally a frame the customer had wanted to be made from HMF carbon fiber and with a threaded BB. And there's the fact that not all frames will come from the factory at exact weights, there will for sure be variances.

Even with the 210gr "weight gain" for the frameset and fork, I can still get below 6.8kg for around $2.3K total, and that is good enough for this weight weenie.