Hollowgram SiSL bond weakening?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hmai18

by hmai18

Just curious whether anybody else has encountered this issue:

My CAAD10 was stripped down to the frame and rebuilt two weeks ago for the upcoming season. Everything was liberally greased and torqued to spec. I'm still encountering clicking sounds on every downstroke of the pedal when I'm putting any kind of meaningful effort in. Took it back to the mech who did the service this afternoon and while he had the bike leaned and weight on on the pedals, he had me put my fingers on the crankarms and I could feel the resonance through them when he shifted his weight to produce the clicks.

Is this a legitimate concern?

Dammit

by Dammit

When I had that exact clicking issue I reinstalled the BB about 5 times before finding that it was the rear skewer.

Swapped from the lightweight skewer to a Zipp one, no more click.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ash1

by ash1

I had the same issue and it drove me crazy for weeks. It turned out to be the lock ring. Removed it, cleaned it up, applied a little blue lock tight and it has been silent ever since.

Dammit

by Dammit

Just to add- I've run Si's and then SiSl's for thousands of miles and the bond is as good as it ever was.

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

Strange. I've put thousand of climbing miles on my sisl cranks and never encountered a clicking noise that grease and a torque wrench never fixed.

Have you tried swapping pedals?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

I had Keos on before and recently switched back to SPD-SLs. Spindles were also thoroughly greased.

I have a feeling it's wheel/lockring related - did a race today on a pair of borrowed wheels and didn't hear a damn thing despite givin' it for two hours. Might have to go with Ash1's suggestion and remove/loctite the lockring.