Bottle cage bolts & bolt replacements

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

I've read of people using nylon bolts to save weight on bottle cage holders, but it sounds like they break frequently: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88887&hilit=bottle+cage+bolt+replacement

It seems like titanium or aluminum would be a good option for weight saving (maybe ~3g each, but hey), but how about for those places you don't have a cage installed? Here is one option from the UK, but I'm not going to pay that kind of money for a simple plug. Anyone know of a "Home Depot mod" that would accomplish the same thing? Would have to be just the right size.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commendatore

by commendatore

I always meant to get some nylon bolts for the unused cage mounts in my cx bike. At the price of the tids, may as well just use short ti bolts.

Marin

by Marin

I use black silicone sealant. Or nothing.

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

Good ideas. Silicone sealant would be more difficult to remove if I decided to add a bottle cage later, though. Would like something replaceable.

I suspect a generic nylon bolt would have a square head (not rounded as most bottle cage bolts are) and wouldn't look as good. So it's a tough call between a miniscule weight reduction and a minor cosmetic change...haha!
Using Tapatalk