HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:57 pm 

Torque wrenches aren't accurate at all and are pretty much pointless if you know what you're doing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:06 pm 

well I bought a Torque wrench for low NM stuff and never really used it because for the smaller stuff the wrenches tend to be a bit bulky. I've tightened enough bike stuff by ear, as it were, and nothing's fallen off yet! Of course over tightening is no good, so just don't go mad.

I too have a Ultra Torque and for that and cassettes etc I have a 30 euro wrench (http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/torq ... 5-nm-32613) and it works great.

I think it's easy to get a bit carried away worrying about over tightening but common sense is probably as useful as a torque wrench for a 7nm screw...

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:06 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:29 pm 

F45 wrote:
Torque wrenches aren't accurate at all and are pretty much pointless if you know what you're doing.

I'll second that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm 

F45 wrote:

Thats a great comment Mr. Armchair Engineer, please feel free to contact some of the well known torque wrench manufactures that produce said items for aerospace, motosport and other industries that are required to use torque wrenches and tell them just that !

Oh, and please post here the replys you get as I for one would love to hear the replys !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:12 pm 

The Grassroots Motorsports article did test the torque wrenches across a range. I can't find it on line however.

I used to tighten my pedals not too tight but I have had a couple start squeaking. I do them up tighter now. People with Garmin Vector pedals need to use a torque wrench as the wattage reading is affected by how tight the pedals are in the crank.

I did a test a while ago of me tightening fasteners to what I felt was X ft-lbs and then checking how close I got. Turns out that I do ok for small values but undertorque stuff in the BB cup/crank range on up. Other people are different. I've worked on motorcycles that had been maintained by gorillas who tightened all the small fasteners to within a ft/lb of stripping the threads.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:11 am 

robhall2003 wrote:
F45 wrote:

I'll second that

Interesting. So,tell me how do you both know what you're doing? :D
The outcome of your assumption that if these tools are not accurate you both say that calibration is also fake? And the certificates that came with my Gedore torque wrenches are fake too? :shock:

(The best tool available to test your ideas and visions, is critical questions approach aka critical thinking)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 am 

This one does pretty much everything you would need http://www.topeak.com/products/Homeshop-Tools/dtorq_dx

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:14 am 

asv wrote:
This one does pretty much everything you would need http://www.topeak.com/products/Homeshop-Tools/dtorq_dx

Using the same one for years now.
All the range 4-80Nm on one wrench, great digital accuracy.
Below 4Nm you really don't need a torque wrench, you can tighten the bolt by feel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yre2M2BxRdk
Expensive but worth it... :up:
....Or you can buy both.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:41 pm 

campagnolo321 wrote:
F45 wrote:

Thats a great comment Mr. Armchair Engineer, please feel free to contact some of the well known torque wrench manufactures that produce said items for aerospace, motosport and other industries that are required to use torque wrenches and tell them just that !

Oh, and please post here the replys you get as I for one would love to hear the replys !

My brother joined the RAF 20 years ago to train as an airframe fitter. He told me that day one of the engineering training was all about how dangerous ejector seats are to unwary fitters. On day two they were given a range of torque wrenches to test and all of them were extremely inaccurate, the lesson being to test them regularly. He still works in the aerospace industry on fast jets, I'll ask him if wrenches nowadays are more accurate.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 pm 

Hawkwood wrote:
campagnolo321 wrote:
F45 wrote:

My brother joined the RAF 20 years ago to train as an airframe fitter. He told me that day one of the engineering training was all about how dangerous ejector seats are to unwary fitters. On day two they were given a range of torque wrenches to test and all of them were extremely inaccurate, the lesson being to test them regularly. He still works in the aerospace industry on fast jets, I'll ask him if wrenches nowadays are more accurate.

Probably a wrong interpretation of the real event. :)

In the RAF it was/is a rule to first check the torquewrenches before use and when no good it need to be send in for callibration.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:38 am 

thank you all for your input, now my head is spinning, LOL!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:40 am 

since we are on this issue, do any have/know if any one else made a torque list for either shimano/sram or campy parts ect. I guess I should stop being lazy and make my own=)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:49 pm 

I have a hard time believing that torque wrenches get so far out of calibration that they can be worse than "feel". It's probably 5-10% at most, but I'd appreciate any hard evidence otherwise. Anecdotes about what your brother says are not admissible, no matter how cool he is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:18 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
VQ30DE wrote:
Anecdotes about what your brother says are not admissible, no matter how cool he is.
Tue 'dat about your brother. But my neighbors' in-laws' second cousin's son used to perform professional bike assembly at K-Mart, and he said that he never used a torque wrench, nor did any of his fellow expert assemblers, so I think that settles the matter once and for all.

Go to page Previous  1, 2