HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Specialized BG Fit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:55 pm 

I tried doing a search, but came up trump.

Here is the Caveat, I would like to know who on here has had this fitting done, but only done by the Master fit technicians, which from my understanding there are only a dozen in the U.s.a.

I watch a You Tube vid on one fellow out in California, and the video was in depth as to what he did with the clients.

HUMP

Post subject: Re: Specialized BG Fit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm 

I have had it done.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:34 am 

For those of you who have had a fitting done, regardless of the system, how long did it-does it-take for your body to adjust before you can get back up to 100%?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 pm 

I rode hard the next day with no problems. I also didn't have any astounding adjustments done, but I will note that I have since changed a lot of things. If you do it, revisit the fitter a few months after for an evaluation. I lost quite a bit of weight and my fit changed drastically.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:26 pm 

KWalker wrote:
I rode hard the next day with no problems. I also didn't have any astounding adjustments done, but I will note that I have since changed a lot of things. If you do it, revisit the fitter a few months after for an evaluation. I lost quite a bit of weight and my fit changed drastically.

Where did you have yours done?

How did it compare to any other fitting that you had done? Did they use the video capture with the fit?

HUMP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:34 am 

My fit was all wrong and had it done. I race six days later and felt pretty good my cadence increased by 8-10 rpms over old fit. If you can get it done go for it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm 

Well, I went to meet my friend this past Monday for a personal tune-up. Although I was feeling okay, I could tell there were areas that needed addressing.

I was thinking that I may possibly need a different size frame, but that was put to rest with my tune-up.

We started with the interview as most good fittings do while I got warmed up on the trainer. I had raced the previous two days, so I wanted to make sure I limbered up before we started looking at flexibility issues. This particular fitter has known me since I started racing, so we have a history, and that is why I decided to go to him as opposed to the BG fit. We started out talking about any past injuries, and any issues I was having on the bike. I had recently bought a new saddle, and told him I was having some issues just finding that spot on it. He concurred with the fact that he was noticing my hips moving trying to find that spot, which probably also caused some chaffing.

I got off the trainer and we started from the ground up. He really took a lot of time looking at my feet and how my foot changed under load (weight). What we found was that my foot has a long heel to ball of foot measurement, and although my shoes that I had fit my feet, they did not allow for enough forward position of the cleats, so we switched out to different shoes. Once we took care of that, it was onto flexibility. We found that my hamstring flex is about average on the high side of average, but my hip flexibility was very good.

Next we changed the saddle. I had brought an arsenal of old saddles or one's that I had in my stock. We settled on the Antares, since the width was very close. We also raised the saddle, and put it a tad bit more forward that what I had experienced in the past. I was running a 120mm stem, and he kept looking at the angles. I kept going back and forth between the hoods and the drops, and I just kept feeling like I was having to use too much muscle to not tip over. He then ask me to reach out to the end of the hoods, and it cleared up. I was stable and relaxed. We ended up putting a longer stem on. and I could tell just then that I felt better, the trainer even started making that sound when you know that the pedal stroke has smoothed out.

From there we started looking at me in different position, laid out on the hoods TT style, in the drops. One thing that he noticed was the amount of space I had between my elbow and hip in the front on plane. We checked my shoulders to find out that although my shoulders look wide, they are indeed fairly narrow, it is the deltoid that I have on top of the bone that has always made me look wider and also makes my shoulders look like they are rolled forward. We did not change the bars, but he did say that I could go to a narrower bar, which could cut down on my frontal area, and also relax my traps more. I have since borrowed a narrower bar in a different bend just to test the theory.

Other than that, I am now in the process of just letting my body adapt to the new position, without over thinking if something is right or not. He told me to put some miles on it, and then we could talk more about any issues that may arise.

HUMP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:38 pm 

I had a BG Fit done a month ago. I was happy with the results. They had me warm up while asking me questions and looking at my positioning, pedaling, etc...They noticed my saddle was bent (which was the original point of my trip to the bike shop) and it affected my geometry on the bike and it effectively made one leg longer than the other.

So, they measured me for a new saddle with their "Assometer". That is what the official name is apparently. Anyway, after finding the right saddle width I chose a saddle and on we went with more warm up and questions. Next, they noticed my cleats were not aligned right, so they aligned them and canted them outward a few degrees to give me a more nuetral pedaing position. Some fore/aft/height adjustments on the saddel and I was in business.

They also measured me in a number of ways and checked my flexibility. They then shortened my stem and slammed my bars (since my flexibility was good) and that was pretty much it.

I was in the shop for 5 hours and don't kid yourself this is an opportunity for a sales pitch, but everything I bought I needed. I am pleased with the results. I am using a TACX Flow trainer using a power based training program. Though the BG guys will tell you they guarantee no power improvements, only efficiency improvements I improvem my power by almost 10 percent in a few short weeks due to this. I am sure there are more scientific methods, but their system worked for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:49 pm 

BG Fit: http://www.specialized.com/se/en/hub/bgfit

was it worth it?
can you recommend another, maybe better alternative?
how much did it cost you on your country.
and what does she use that probe for?

:thanx:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm 

If you're new to cycling and have never had a fit then any fit will probably get you started in the ballpark. And I use the word "probably" pretty loosely, because it really varies, depending on who actually does it. I'm speaking not to the BG fit in particular, but to any fitting. Read a lot. Listen to what they say if you go to a fit, and really think about whether what they're saying makes sense to you and your particular situation. And after you get fit, and start riding a lot, don't be afraid to tweak things if you feel it might be better or even if you just want to try it to see the difference and confirm that where you are is still best. It's a process, and not a static one. I know I've given a not an ounce of specific yes or no recommendation re the BG fit. I'd go talk to the actual person that would be doing your fit, and if you feel comfortable with them, then go for it. Just remember, that just because someone is "certified" in a particular fit system, that often means nothing more than they attended the workshop or program. They could have slept through the whole thing for all you know, or maybe they knew more than the instructor to begin with, but had to attend for the "certification". I've never known anyone to have "failed" one of these. You pays your money, and gets your diploma!

But mostly, I replied cuz your post made me laugh. Far too few people ask the important question. You did. Regarding your most important question about the "probe"... fear not, it's just used to measure some angles that they like to throw around and say, you should be here, or you should be there... cuz this is the range of motion we like to see, etc. You can ignore most of that, when your body feels right, the angles will be right. But in the event she does use that thing as a probe, please let us know how it goes... maybe there's something to all this BG stuff after all. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 pm 

I've had the fit for both road and TT, definitely a worthwhile process. Shop I was at charged 250 for road, 300 for TT. There are other fit systems out there that use a lot more expensive tech but the shop I went to actually has been able to get within millimeters of some of these other fits.

The probe is a goniometer for measuring angles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:37 pm 

oh, is that all it is used for :| I was hoping for that price it might have been for something else .

seriously, 3 months ago my ride started giving me some pain in the back which was completely new for me, so after about two weeks of trial and error I now have what I think is my best position so far. However, for 150€ I could be curious to see more details.

1 thing I see has come to light from reading reviews on the internets is that most people miracuouslly discover 1 leg is longer than the other and are then required to buy the neccessary wedges. That all sounds like a scam to me but then I am generally paranoid :hmm:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 pm 

My BG Fit was a total of $175 US for 2 road bikes and a 'cross bike. I was pretty dialed in but the fitter made some slight changes to my fit. He performed a physical assessment which included foot structure and hip flexion. The BG Fit is about body angles on the bike.

The following changes were made to my bike:
Saddle was move higher by 1.5 cm and forward by 0.5 cm.
Brake hoods were rotated back.
No changes to the stem length or headset spacers.
The above changes resulted in a decrease in reach to the hoods by 1.4 cm and an increase in handlebar drop by 1.0 cm (from 72 mm to 82 mm).
The above changes also changed my knee angle from 37 degrees to 32 degrees.
Additionally, my cleats were moved back (centered) and wedges were placed in my shoes to correct foot varus.

So far I have been happy with the changes made. It is amazing what a difference a few millimeters can make.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 pm 

Sorry for the double post. Tried to delete.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:28 pm 

bigfatty wrote:
1 thing I see has come to light from reading reviews on the internets is that most people miracuouslly discover 1 leg is longer than the other and are then required to buy the neccessary wedges. That all sounds like a scam to me but then I am generally paranoid :hmm:

It's real :) According to my fitter one of my legs is shorter than the other, he put some extra shims under my cleat. I asked him if I needed a shim in my everyday shoe, he said "no"! but I still went and bought a shim for my everyday shoe and now 2 years later my tendon next to my knee on the inner side still starts to hurt again if I don't use a shim in my shoe. The problem with my knee was one of the reasons why I got a fit in the first place. Generally here in Denmark the fitters who are also physiotherapists get the best reviews

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:28 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next