New bike recommendations: S-Works Tarmac vs. Merckx EMX-525

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michel2

by michel2

i suppose the fact that there is no dealer willing to get you a test bike to take for a spin in the right size isn't looking to good (imho) in regards to possibly future service.
in the age of high dollar carbon frames that don't necessarily live as long as you would hope for, i think the dealer or better the relationship with the dealer becomes just as important as the bike it self..

and on a personal note....merckx, no brainer (-:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jspaceman

by jspaceman

There are Specialized dealers near me who can order an S-Works Tarmac in my size. I just have to give them a down payment and they will order the bike and build it up for me. I think it takes about two days for them to receive the bike from their distributor.

I have taken a Specialized Tarmac for a test, just not an S-Works one. I'm guessing the geometry is the same, just different component groups and different grades of carbon used in the frame construction.

aaric

by aaric

In a blind test, I doubt you could tell the difference in riding a pro vs an s-works frame. I had an SL3 pro, as well as an S-works, and the only difference was about 50g for a size 58. (My s-works has yellow paint, where the pro was mostly nude carbon - so there apparently was 50g more paint on the s-works) Identical geometry, just 1 grade lower carbon construction. They had identical cockpits and components. And honestly, if I were pushed, I'd say the pro was marginally stiffer.

You'll notice much more difference in wheels / cockpit. You'd do better to spend the extra $$ between a pro and an s-works on a power meter ;)

jspaceman

by jspaceman

About the wheels on the Merckx. Should I spend the extra $800 and get the Zipp 303? Or should I get the Shimano C50s or Reynolds DV46s instead?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sharkman

by sharkman

Are you talking Clinchers or Tubular (guess clinchers). If you plan to use the bike only in dry weater the Zipps or Reynolds could be an option (Zipps have better rims, Reynolds have the dt hubs which imho. are better).
In any orther case I would say aluminium rims would be better, don't like the looks of the 9000 C50's but they are trouble free, roll well and have wider rims and so far heard nothing bad about them (which can't be said about the other two).

jspaceman

by jspaceman

sharkman wrote:Are you talking Clinchers or Tubular (guess clinchers). If you plan to use the bike only in dry weater the Zipps or Reynolds could be an option (Zipps have better rims, Reynolds have the dt hubs which imho. are better).
In any orther case I would say aluminium rims would be better, don't like the looks of the 9000 C50's but they are trouble free, roll well and have wider rims and so far heard nothing bad about them (which can't be said about the other two).

I'm talking tubulars. I have a set of aluminum rims for day to day use, but I would get the bike with carbon tubulars and save the tubulars for racing.

efeballi

by efeballi

I'd second DA 9000 tubulars. Trouble-free, wide rim and stiff as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm wondering if the Zipps might be more durable for a rider of my weight/size. They have a higher spoke count than the Reynolds and DAs, and they are rated for riders up to 250lbs, which I'm well below, :-).

sharkman

by sharkman

My choice would be Dura Ace C50 tubulars (full carbon) or a well built setup with Enve (or reynolds rims) and good hubs ( if there is a good wheel builder in your environment).

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

I would wait for the new tarmac SL5 to drop.

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

This is coming from a Tarmac S-Works SL4 owner.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Any idea when the SL5 Tarmac will be out?

Svetty

by Svetty

Merckx with DA wheels. Hubs much better than Zipps.

tinozee

by tinozee

The SL5 does look good. Much better top tupe with less curved sloping. I hope they have some nice solid color schemes, no sproty pinstripes.

SDP

by SDP

What would eddy do.... No brainier 525 at this price..go with the mavics..not always popular but a fine wheel..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com