Drilling CAAD 10 Black Di2 2013 - Updated with PICS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tigerbalm

by Tigerbalm

Hey guys,

Probably a huge faux pas.....

Anyone considered drilling the CAAD10 top tube for internal rear brake cabling? - Can't help the OCD in me getting annoyed @ the floating silver cable....

Updated!
Caad 10 - Di2 Black Edition 2013
Reynolds Assault 11 sp
FSA - SL-K Light cranks
11 SP Di2 Ultegra
Fizik Antares 00 Saddle
Fizik R1 Stem
Fizik R3 Handle Bar

Coming soon!
Fizik R1 Seatpost
DuraACe upgrade
SISL Cranks
Last edited by Tigerbalm on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I just converted my SW Tarmac SL3 to internal brake cable. Work in progress. Using white Power Cordz too.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I would not attempt this one with my bike, but would be curious at the end state if you do attempt it.

Wondering what would be the impact on the integrity of the tubes if any?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I wouldn't since the new CAADs brake line enters at the head tube.....they probably did that for a reason

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tigerbalm

by Tigerbalm

I'm just worried about the top tube integrity, but it should be ok hopefully. The new caad10 brake cable has reinforced head tube afaik

Would anyone else be worried about the integrity of the the top tube? Anyone know what the thickness is? I'm thinking of drilling where the current brake guides are. Logic being that they must be low impact zones if the guides are welded there.

Tigerbalm

by Tigerbalm

Butcher wrote:I just converted my SW Tarmac SL3 to internal brake cable. Work in progress. Using white Power Cordz too.

Did you drill the top tube? Any issues with frame integrity, compliance or brake friction?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Removed the cable stops [riveted]. Installed the internal guide where the front stop was. I obviously had to put a bigger hole for the guide to fit. The rear was relocated more to the top side. Repaired the rivet holes at the lower tube and drilled a hole in the top portion of the tube for the rear guide.

I thought there may be an issue with the stress the guide would put into the tube when the brake is applied. I installed a few extra layers of carbon on the back side [inside of the tube] to at least calm my fears of being too weak.

As mentioned, it is a work in progress. All I know is that I'm happy with the way it looks. So far the worst part was painting the Nokon segments [and guide] to match the color of the frame.

Just so you know, I'm a Butcher for a reason. You may not want to follow my lead. And you really do not want to know how I ran the EPS wires either.

Tigerbalm

by Tigerbalm

Thanks Butcher! I'm glad to hear that there are other crazy junkies out there! Hmmm I can't really put carbon on The inside of this one, do you think, the drill holes will destroy thr integrity of the frame? Maybe cable guide ovals should hold up... Hoping!

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Would not mind looking at some pictures from you work Butcher. Do you have a build post?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Not done building, too busy working/starting my own business. There will be, cause Tinea Pedis said so.

latman

by latman

most metal tubes are butted to account for strength loss of welding/brazing , I'm not sure if alloy cannondales are as they are heat treated after welding? if they are butted you need do drill in those thicker areas ps what a useless photo...

Tigerbalm

by Tigerbalm

Lol latman, any photos of drill area will be on flat tube anyway which would all together be useless. Will provide DIY photos when I start to drill

Tigerbalm

by Tigerbalm

Lol latman, any photos of drill area will be on flat tube anyway which would all together be useless. Will provide DIY photos when I start to drill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com