Colnago C60 weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

So you suggest that Colnago or Pinarello do not have the "know-how to make it both light, stiff enough and durable"... ok.
lol

soracabana

by soracabana

Weight is not the first consideration to evaluate a frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

^^
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I suggest that it requires more, just as i wrote. The updated RCA is lighter and stiffer than previous version i have been told from a dealer who rode previous version and now on the new.
I believe that if Pinarello could have made the F8 lighter, they had. But i believe they would need to pay more for the frame and customers to i believe.
I also believe Colnago gladly would like to have a lighter version to offer. Why wouldn't they?
Why for instance, is the new THM Clavicula SE lighter than previous version, because they've learned how to do it and still make it stiff enough and durable.
I have have talked to several companies about weight in relation to stiffness and durablity.
They often mention that they oversee what they can achieve, talking frames stiffness, ride feel and durability.
For what reason would they otherwise make a frame more heavy?
Have you asked 3T about their lines, pro, team and ltd in more close detail?
Or THM, Ax Lightness or Scott to name a few.
It's quite interesting going directly to source of engineers. I have done so just to learn/ understand.
I would like to point out, i am not saying this to be rude, but you can keep laughing on best you want.
Personally, i'd rather check with the source myself to get facts instead.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

wheelsONfire wrote:They often mention that they oversee what they can achieve, talking frames stiffness, ride feel and durability.
For what reason would they otherwise make a frame more heavy?

You just answered your own question. I'd rather a 1200g frame that is stiff, complaint and a little bit aero than a 700g frame that is stiff, light and a little bit aero.

wheelsONfire wrote:Personally, i'd rather check with the source myself to get facts instead.

I'd take some of your own advice and try a Pinarello Dogma/Colnago and then try a Cervelo. I'm not talking about a 10 minute spin around the block, but a decent ride where fatigue etc. come into play. Aero and light is not right if the bike is overly harsh and rides terribly (for me at least anyway).

Lastly, nobody is forcing you to buy this bike, so why are people so upset that it's 1200g? If you want a 700g frame buy a SS evo or a R5 etc.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I didn't mean to bash more heavy frames or to be rude, even if it may have comn out that way.
If it came out so, i expressed myself badly.
I just meant, if you had criteriums for a frame, i believe the lighter 700g frame would cost more than the 1200g version, provided you wanted it to be stiff, durable and have a great ride feel.
Ofcourse i agree, if i had only two options, either a rather terrible frame at 700g and a great at 1200g, i would buy the 1200g version.

I believe from what i have been informed, that it would cost more to have the 700g version built, asking same of that as i ask for the 1200g version.
In general the lighter über frames/ components cost more than the more heavy ditos.

Looking at Scott as an example (we could just aswell say Specialized or Trek), they have series like Team and SL. Team riders ride team versions as the SL versions would come in at lower weight (built up) than 6800g.
So there is no meaning for them using the lighter SL frames. According to Scott, it would only end up the team mechanics would need to use weights to get the build to the weight limit.
If UCI lifted the weight limit and allowed 5800g bikes, i believe more companies would present lighter frames and i also believe these would cost more than the more heavy ditos.

Last, yes, i had many frames on my list but bought the 700g version for my second ride. A worse riding machine had never been an option, rather the contrary.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Not to hijack a thread, but the criticism of c-60 base on weight misses a trend. Contrary to published frame weights, bike weights are going up not down. Just look at the accessories that we're putting on them, starting with hydro brakes, computers, sensors EPS and power meters. Just adding all these gadgets can easily add 500 grams. And I left out deep rim wheels which adds even more weight.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Since there's plenty of fuss over the weight of a Colnago..
Here's a quote from Ernesto Colnago, concerning weight of his frame/fork.

“A Contador can ride a bike that weighs less than 6.8 kg (15 lbs). But that’s nothing for Tom Boonen; he can’t do anything on a frame made of paper.” For Colnago, the frame’s durability is its most important characteristic. After all, the frame is the heart of any racing bike - and it should beat for as long as possible.” It makes no difference whether the frame weighs a hundred grams (3.5 oz) more. It must carry the rider, and he must be safe.”

TOUR Magazine, 2014/6

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Edit = second thought.... i realized i don't want to fuel the fire.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

User Name

by User Name

Jee, that's obviously not light. My 58cm old CAAD8 is 1265g