Upgrading to dura-ace 7900 di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

I currently have ultegra 6700 crank, derailleurs and shifters on my felt fc. I am upgrading to dura-ace 7600 di2 (7900 because im a junior racer and 10 speed is much more convenient). I was wondering if this was going to be a weight gaining or losing upgrade, I am however keeping my ultegra crank (because I don't want to have to sell my ultegra stages pmeter and buy a dura-ace pmeter). Any idea if my steed is gonna put on a couple of grams?
-e

RussellS

by RussellS

I have Di2 7970 10 speed on one bike. It weighs more than mechanical derailleurs. Then add in the weight of the battery. Not sure if Di2 shifters are heavier or lighter than mechanical shifters. Overall it will gain weight. Not enough to matter, but a little extra.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

I would seek out one of FWB's "complete group weight" forum posts and modify it to account for the known weight of your Ultegra crank.

And the 7970 Di2 shifters are *much* lighter than mechanical counterparts on 6700 and 7900 groups. This is one aspect of the first generation Di2 that realized a huge weight reduction because mechanical tumblers and ratchets were replaced by simple electric switches.

-Tim

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

ok, not a bad idea Tim...
I won't worry about it too much because I think I am going to buy a custom wheelset from fairwheel which should drop about 300-400 grams