Replacing 2009 Campagnolo SR gearshift parts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

athos

by athos

I have a Campagnolo SR groupset from beginning of 2009 (just after it hit the stores at the time), used somewhere in between 40 and 50k km.

To keep shifting crisp I change cables once a year or so. At this point I'm thinking I should replace cables again, but I haven't been as happy as before with the performance for the past year. I feel like it's aging/wearing somewhat. Also because of the 2011 changes I think new parts will be quite a bit better.

Do you think it's worth getting new shifters and derailleurs? I think I'll buy Chorus this time.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Several things changed since the early 2009 versions. If you haven't already done this, you should change out the right hand shifter cable bushing. It was originally white, the new ones are black. That is an easy change but on the first ones there was bit of rubbing and little "crunchy" feeling on that first gear change from the smallest cog to the next one. There was a spacing change also in the cassette, not even a half millimeter, with one of the spacers. Not a big deal but was difficult to get perfectly adjusted so that there was absolutely no noise with chain against one cog. But I'm sure you've replaced your cassette a few times so all should be fine there.
Another change was just a "stiffening" up of the feel of the shift, as the first ones were a little "light" feeling. Not a big deal, but Campy users generally prefer the more tactile feel of the shift as opposed to the very light feel that Shimano users might prefer.
The two biggest changes as far as shifting performance goes between the first 2009 versions and say, the 2011 versions, come in the form of 1) a stiffer return spring in the rear derailleur (2010 I believe) which allows the rear derailleur to move down the cassette a little bit better with fewer "hangups"; and 2) the addition of a couple more pins in the front chainrings (2011) which improved the front shifting somewhat.

I just got back from a trip using my C50 with the 2009 SR group. Was fine, but I do prefer the feel of SR from 2011 onwards. The brand new RS version has a slightly revised tooth profile on the front rings which supposedly refines it a bit more, but I've not had any first hand experience with that yet.
And with any of the groups, a smooth cable routing is always of paramount importance in getting good shifting.

So, if you want to upgrade, I'd probably just get a whole new group, so you get the chainrings as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Graeme answered this in more detail in another thread dealing with a similar topic. Scroll down for his answer.http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124616

If the left shifting is OK you could just replace the right shifter body, available as a complete sub-assembly.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

New cables stretch a little, old ones don't.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

Also, If it has been a few years since you replaced your chain and cassette, then those will make a world of a difference as well.

The price and time invested in replacing the shifter body isn't worth it for me where you can get a new set of SR shifters ~$400.
good luck.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

athos

by athos

Thanks people. I think I'll go with the new right hand body and rear derailleur. This 'stiffening' of the click and the stiffer return spring in the rear is something I prefer probably.

I've never changed parts of the body but I liked the shifting in the first years. Although now I think of it, shifting from 13 to 12 was always a bit of a problem that I blamed on my skills as a mechanic. Chain is replaced regularly and cassette is replaced, so it has the wider spacer. Above I typed that I change cables once a year, I forgot to add that this includes housings too. @Valbrona new housing/ferrules settle a bit after setup, but after compensating for this the shifting is definitely better with fresh housing and cables.

Should I get the new busing for the left hand shifter? I have no problems at the front, but if it's better I'll do it as it is cheap anyway.

em3

by em3

...before engaging the replacement of entire body, simply install the replacement cable coil bushing (white one). It is a VERY quick fix and u will realize a noticeable difference in shifting performance. Specifically the white coil bushing allows cable head to seat deeper in the bushing and keep cable end from rubbing against inner body, yielding less friction and better shift action. Even at 40-50K I doubt u need new internals. EM3

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

em3 wrote:...before engaging the replacement of entire body, simply install the replacement cable coil bushing (white one). It is a VERY quick fix and u will realize a noticeable difference in shifting performance. Specifically the white coil bushing allows cable head to seat deeper in the bushing and keep cable end from rubbing against inner body, yielding less friction and better shift action. Even at 40-50K I doubt u need new internals. EM3

sorry but this is not really good advice. the problem you refer to would have been most evident when the shifter was brand new. suggest you look up and read @graeme's detailed explanation in the thread I referenced earlier.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

To be clear, the white cable bushing is the one that was problematic. The replacement bushing is black. Also, the left shifter does not have the same issue. It should be fine. What your planning seems to be a good upgrade. The stronger spring in the rear derailleur should help with your 13 to 12 shift. If you can swing it, replacing the front chain rings would be nice as well to get the extra pins. Shifting is better. With one caveat... the 2009 11 spd front chain rings have traditional chain ring bolts (along with the backing nut)... while the newer 11 spd chain rings have chain ring bolts that screw directly into the smaller chain ring. I think they should still work with the 2009 spider but if you do replace the chainrings I'd check that just to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

athos

by athos

I changed the right hand body and rear derailleur. While I was at it I also replaced chain, cassette and cables&housing. Shifting is perfect! I didn't change front rings as front shifting isn't that important to me.
Thanks for the advice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com