Hex tool diff

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

BRM wrote:regrinding a hex tool does not make the Original tolerances tighter. You still will have a mediocre fit.
*facepalm*
That'll be you missing the point!

Is easy to refinish them cos the material is rubbish, they need refinishing regularly as the material and fit are rubbish, so they get damaged easily.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Get a mid-range METRIC set from your trusted hardware store. Those are the best value in the long term as the quality difference between them and the all-out brand names like Stanley Proto & Snap-on isn't that big, though prices can be! Bondhus which is commonly available in the US is a quality brand without a high price. Just get the chrome vanadium ones if you can, they are easier to take care of in terms of rusting.

Just for reference, I have a set of 'Eight' brand, Japan made metric allen keys which I have used for 20years. They cost me equivalent of US$20/- back then and they are still in excellent condition even today!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDoc

by TheDoc

Got a set of Wera 950 SPK/L 9 SM N last year and loved it.

TheDoc

by TheDoc

double post.
Last edited by TheDoc on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRM

by BRM

mattr wrote:
BRM wrote:regrinding a hex tool does not make the Original tolerances tighter. You still will have a mediocre fit.
*facepalm*
That'll be you missing the point!

Is easy to refinish them cos the material is rubbish, they need refinishing regularly as the material and fit are rubbish, so they get damaged easily.

You miss the core questions in the startpost.
The question is not what tools are regrinding the easiest?

I explained where to look to when buying a hex tool with focus on the right fit.
When you bring in you easily regrind cheap tools, where is the match in the discussion?

In general especially people that doent have much knowledge or experience buy mediocre cheap tools.
In general people that have better understanding and skills dont buy cheap tools.
People with no much understanding make the wrong choices to buy mediocre stuff and also those people seldom have grinders.

Its what happens all the time. One person starts a discussion and within 5 posts the discussion just goes in a total other direction. Stick with the core questions I would say.

BRM

by BRM

maxxevv wrote:Get a mid-range METRIC set from your trusted hardware store. Those are the best value in the long term as the quality difference between them and the all-out brand names like Stanley Proto & Snap-on isn't that big, though prices can be! Bondhus which is commonly available in the US is a quality brand without a high price. Just get the chrome vanadium ones if you can, they are easier to take care of in terms of rusting.

Just for reference, I have a set of 'Eight' brand, Japan made metric allen keys which I have used for 20years. They cost me equivalent of US$20/- back then and they are still in excellent condition even today!

Sorry but your vision is bit flawed. I will try to explain.
In your vision is missed what the price diff is between mid range and high end hex tools.
You assume its huge and so you come to a vision that the best value in the long term are mid range hex tools. WRONG.

The price difference is not that big.
I buy in my country a PB Swiss Tools Hex Set with balldriver + extended length, for 38,50 ( a special offer for 2014)

The best fit with lifetime warranty.
A mid range tool doesnt has the most right fit and or not the most right fit over extended time.
I admit when using a hex tool you often dont need to have the best fit, but occasionally you need.
A high end tool Always deliver, but a midrange not. On the "moment suprême" it fails.
With prices similar I bring in here, your recommendation doesnt make sense Imo.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Question though, is 'how long have you used' a PB Swiss set ? "

... Have you compared it directly in terms of quality to a US$20/- set and a US$100/- set ? How many microns of tolerance difference are we talking about here ?

What makes you so sure that its "that good" ? Media hyperbole or your long drawn, 10 years of hard abusive usage conclusion ?

US$20/- to US$38/- is a 90% difference in price. Not a trivial figure for the casual home mechanic on a budget.