Fitting mechanical to a Di2 frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CIANSUTCLIFFE

by CIANSUTCLIFFE

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you can run standard mechanical (shimano) through a di2 specific frame. i know it says Di2 specific but can it be done? i have heard of a conversion kit but cant find it anywhere on the internet. can you help me?

specifically referencing theFELT 2011 F1 FRAME

Maybe superDave could help me on this.
thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emorydptt

by emorydptt

The problem is you will not have appropriate entry points for the cable housing to route.
It's easier to make a mechanical frame di2 compatible by either drilling or using external cable kit with the cable specific tape rather than making a di2 frame mechanical.
Good luck.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

Stefano

by Stefano

Might be possible if the same frame/ layup has a mechanical sibling. Get us some close ups of the cable stop area where the electronics enter, and also a production photo of the same area on a mechanical one, that way the peanut gallery actually has something to argue about

ryan0380

by ryan0380

I was considering purchasing a storck fenomalist di2 specific and putting mechanical group on but I decided against it but I will be keeping my eye on this thread

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

simple, easy, ugly solution is full length housing, but I don't recommend it.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I just removed the cable guides from my Tarmac so I could run my EPS. Let me know if you want them. They were riveted and seemed that would be easy to do.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

CIANSUTCLIFFE wrote:Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you can run standard mechanical (shimano) through a di2 specific frame. i know it says Di2 specific but can it be done? i have heard of a conversion kit but cant find it anywhere on the internet. can you help me?

specifically referencing theFELT 2011 F1 FRAME

Maybe superDave could help me on this.
thanks

Yes, you can bolt on mechanical cable guides to the 2011 F1 frame. We equipped the F1 with SRAM RED for some distributors. Your frame came with the guides and your Felt dealer can source additional items. They are also used on our CX bikes.

Found here:
http://2013.feltracing.com/Norway/2013/ ... ides-.aspx

-SD

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Following up 6 something (!) years later.

I'm looking at two frames specifically, Scott Addict RC (recent-ish but not sure what year) and Ridley Helium SLX (2019).

1. Does anyone know if the Scott can be done? Is there generic hardware I can buy to get it done?
2. I thought Ridley's were always Electric AND Mechanical, but the ad says Electric only. Any idea what's going on here? Is there hardware I can buy for this?

Cheers all,
Kurt

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Kurt1980 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:20 am
Does anyone know if the Scott can be done? Is there generic hardware I can buy to get it done?
Are you be comfortable with drilling holes in the frame and any consequences thereof? Is there enough clearance (in particular around the bottom bracket and associated tube junctions) to route full housing through the frame? If yes to both then I imagine it can be done. Unless I am misremembering things Shimano's latest front derailleur design now allows one to route housing all the way to the derailleur (previous generations, SRAM and Campy do not AFAIK).

Jagwire has rubber grommets that might make the installation a bit cleaner: https://www.bike24.com/p2365716.html

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:35 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:
Does anyone know if the Scott can be done? Is there generic hardware I can buy to get it done?
Are you be comfortable with drilling holes in the frame and any consequences thereof? Is there enough clearance (in particular around the bottom bracket and associated tube junctions) to route full housing through the frame? If yes to both then I imagine it can be done. Unless I am misremembering things Shimano's latest front derailleur design now allows one to route housing all the way to the derailleur (previous generations, SRAM and Campy do not AFAIK).

Jagwire has rubber grommets that might make the installation a bit cleaner: https://www.bike24.com/p2365716.html

Thanks for the info. Tbh, I'm not really comfortable with drilling into carbon. Having seen how thin (and fragile) the wall thicknesses of some frames are, I decided a while ago not to embark on "invasive treatments"!

Also, with reference to Ridley...are the Helium SLX frames always dual compatible? Or are there are some that are truly only electronic, as per my post above?

Cheers,
Kurt

ms6073

by ms6073

Kurt1980 wrote:
I'm looking at two frames specifically, Scott Addict RC (recent-ish but not sure what year)
Caliper or disc? Also would help to know what year Scott frame. Can't speak to the caliper frames, but from 2014-2017, Scott's Solace and the Addict disc brake bikes shared hardware, and typically included mounting kits for both Di2 and mechanical drive trains. In practice it was simply a matter of changing out the cable interface up front, cable giude under the bottom bracket, and the gromet for the rear deraileur and the kits used to be able to be sourced from Scott as well as some online stores (Scott Solace Mechanical Cableguide Set 2014 - 2017 #235280).
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:11 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:
I'm looking at two frames specifically, Scott Addict RC (recent-ish but not sure what year)
Caliper or disc? Also would help to know what year Scott frame. Can't speak to the caliper frames, but from 2014-2017, Scott's Solace and the Addict disc brake bikes shared hardware, and typically included mounting kits for both Di2 and mechanical drive trains. In practice it was simply a matter of changing out the cable interface up front, cable giude under the bottom bracket, and the gromet for the rear deraileur and the kits used to be able to be sourced from Scott as well as some online stores (Scott Solace Mechanical Cableguide Set 2014 - 2017 #235280).
This is in reference to rim braked bikes.

First example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scott-Addict ... SwsUJfxVjG

Second example (this is 2015):
https://www.racersportif.com/collection ... x-frameset

Thanks!

joeeboh

by joeeboh

ms6073 wrote:
Kurt1980 wrote:
Sorry for resurrecting this, but does this mean that the all that needs to be done to make a Scott solace/addict mechanical or di2 is to change the cable guides?

I have two di2 addict frames on the way, one from 2016 and the other from 2018

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Yes for the 2016 but I can't speak to the 2018 model as we only hve 2016 Solace abd 2017 Contessa Solace disc models.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"