Wanted: Opinions of Campy mech users who tried electronic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Madone69

by Madone69

enough of this tit for tat bickering.its weekend already ( well almost)
go ride your bike and enjoy, whether eps or fixie. have a drink on me :beerchug: Campy rules period :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

Mechanical, electric, it's all good. Truthfully, the differences between any of the major groups is so small that you will be perfectly happy with any. Same goes with 10 or 11 sprockets.

The big difference between the mechanical and electric offerings, in my opinion, is it's unswerving perfection when you are not. When you are freezing cold, when you are dead tired, when you are right on the limit and need to make a shift the most clumsy poke or slap at the lever will be instantly transformed into another flawless shift. Need to dump the whole cassette at the top of a climb to latch-on to a fast-moving break? No problem. Double shift required? Simple. Need to go from the bottom of the whole range to the top under power and pressure? Easy. Every time.

Are there 'costs'? You bet. As I say, I ran a Campagnolo battery to zero last weekend (entirely due to my own stupidity, admittedly). That cannot happen with Di2 (not because the battery never goes dead, even though it seems to last forever, but because you can change it). Still, I think that if you try it, you'll love it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

When you are freezing cold, when you are dead tired, when you are right on the limit and need to make a shift the most clumsy poke or slap at the lever will be instantly transformed into another flawless shift

That only happens to x-crossers.
It only happens to pro riders every other odd twenty years or so provided they actually appear at the start line that is......O.K. I said enough already... I'm ducking :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It does seem weird and sound a bit lazy, but to make a shift takes the same effort under full load and a very light load. The least amount of effort would be mind control, but we will wait a few more years when that happens.

Again, having both systems, electric is just a perfect shift every time, in every circumstance. Of course, maybe not all circumstances, but everything I have run into. Campy says even underwater, but the extra drag and lack of oxygen will prevent me from proving that.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

Good comments by all. I need to clock some more km's on EPS.

It has lead me to the following personal conclusions:

My use of non-circular chain rings has biased my opinion on front shifting; I like to be able to trim.
I realized EPS rear shifting is better but the cost vs. reward is currently too high.
I am amazed that nobody has commented on Campy mechanical vs Di2. This thread has truly been for Campy lovers.

Thanks!
Last edited by maggierose on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Two SR groupset, one Record groupset and just gotten myself a SR EPS V2 groupset. All four works flawlessly.
Now if you were to ask me which is my favorite, frankly it's going to be difficult choice. One thing I dare say is that Campagnolo mechanical groupset is still relevant even with the advent of EPS, consistent, effortless shifts and such. Yes, the EPS front shifting is definitely a class above mechanical. But the mechanical shifts are so "Campy" and at certain times you do kinda miss that feeling :lol:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Butcher wrote:The least amount of effort would be mind control, but we will wait a few more years when that happens.
Make that negative a few a few more more years.
Think shift anyone?

Geoff

by Geoff

Frank, here in Canada we get out whenever we can, as SpringSummer is pretty short. Last week it was 20 degrees, but it has snowed every day since then (snowing right now, actually). I have been caught-out by SpringSummer snow squalls more often than I can count (and hail storms, too). Believe me, frozen hands ain't just for 'cross out here.

@maggierose, manual trimming is so pre-EPS/Di2! With non-round rings, the electric groups really shine. The stepper motor hauls that chain across like nothing else. Trimming? The electric groups self-trim, so there is no problem. You can set-up for 'Q'-Rings very easily, O-Symetric take a bit of doing, but they are still no issue (I have only tried O-Symetric on Shimano Di2, not EPS).

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I have been caught-out by SpringSummer snow squalls more often than I can count (and hail storms, too). Believe me, frozen hands ain't just for 'cross out here.

Geoff, it's just that when I read all this I can't help but thinking you guys do not need EPS on the bikes. You need central heating.... :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

:D Its a double-edged sword there, too. Nat Gas drows on trees out here, so heating is very affordable. Problem is, we need pipelines to ship it anywhere :up: :noidea: