Top Tube Crack - Super-X Hi-Mod?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tojnom

by tojnom

I was cleaning my Super-X this morning & I noticed a hairline crack in the top tube. It's right down the middle of the tube, about an inch to inch 1/2. I've never wrecked the bike, so I'm little baffled. Does this look like structural damage or just paint?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

I'm pretty sure I have a mold/seam line on mine, down the middle. It's been there since it was new.

Are you sure it's more than a paint crack? Mine is under the clear coat (there's no paint), and not through it.

I can take a picture of mine tonight.

tojnom

by tojnom

Yeah, if you don't mind please post a pic tonight. It's probably just a crack in the paint...I thought it was worth posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

You can try and do an easy test- tap test with a nickel.
Tap the tube with the nickel and the sound should resonate instead of stop abruptly.
I would imagine if there has never trauma to the bike, then it would be non-structural.
Good luck and let us know.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

rijndael

by rijndael

SuperSix HiMod Evo

tojnom

by tojnom

emorydptt wrote:You can try and do an easy test- tap test with a nickel.
Tap the tube with the nickel and the sound should resonate instead of stop abruptly.
I would imagine if there has never trauma to the bike, then it would be non-structural.
Good luck and let us know.

Nifty little trick...I think it's fine, the tone was not abrupt & it sounded similar to other areas on the top tube. In retrospect, I used a rubber mallet to push out the SI spindle ...it was stuck in the bottom bracket pretty good. Maybe the impact from the mallet caused a slight crack in the paint. Regardless, the crack seems to be superficial so all is good.

Thanks for the tip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com