HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:36 am 

I need help.

I'm tuning my rear mech but can't seem to find out how to remove the fixing bolt (mech to hanger bolt). The Campagnolo tech diagram shows a circlip but mine is more like a washer AND IS NOT COMING OFF. Supposidely you just remove the clip and the bolt pushes out.

So far I've gotten it down from 156g to 141g with a Fibre-lyte cage and pulleys plus the TISO bolt kit. I really want to use the red TISO fixing bolt but at a loss how to remove it. I've tried getting a blade and flathead under it but it won't budge and I'm keen to destroy this piece of art. Just want to lighten it a little :D

Before

After

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 am 
Shop Owner

Do not quote me but I believe the information about the clip is for the older 11 sp. derailleurs. The newer version has a two piece bolt that is different than the older one piece version. I do not know if the older version bolt will fit the newer body. I am certain, someone with more knowledge than me will chime in soon.

After closer inspection, the two piece bolt appears to have a torx type fitting on the inside end and the outside part certainly has an allen or torx fitting. If you have the two tools to unscrew the two piece bolt you should be OK, but I am not certain your new bolt will fit due to the design change.

If you are looking to get rid of the red bolt, I have a SR rear derailleur that would look very nice with it. For the right amount, I could take it off your hands.

Last edited by Butcher on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 am 
  • 6.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 931 components by Campagnolo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:37 pm 

Yes, it's a 2 part bolt. It was made this way to make it as light as possible. Replacing it may add weight! The front is a Torx T25 and the rear is a T30.
I've not taken one apart but a guy on the forum has tried without success. I wonder if it's a reverse thread (like the ti bolt on the SR TI chainset) and / or has been loctited.
It's possible it may be high strength loctite because i'm sure Campag would not want it didn't come undone accidentally.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:54 pm 

Check out page 27 of this brochure http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... NG_com.pdf

I'd be leary of any aftermarket part unless they say specifically say that their 1 pc bolt will replace the two pieces alloy bolt setup that Campy now uses. My guess is if it works there will be no weght savings anyways - but you would get the red color you were hoping for.

Last edited by tommasini on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:32 am 

Pretty sure the new campag bolt is alloy unlike the 2010 units which were Ti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:18 am 

Thanks everyone

Correct, one end is T25 and the other T30. I put enough pressure on to rotate them apart thinking it was two piece but stoped when the tools started to twist. It must have some solid loctite.

I agree its probably a very similar weight but wanted to use the red bolt for some added bling. I would hope that it was made to similar standards and work just as well. Might have to deal with black.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:20 am 

My question is, would it make sense to tune a Chorus since SR is already tricked out (relatively)? WOndering if anyone has done this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:29 am 

Dman wrote:
It must have some solid loctite.

If it is high strength loctite (or similar) heat needs to be involved to separate the parts. The other alternative is to drill the bolt. It'll be easy because it's alloy but will obviously destroy it.
You'd also need a circlip unless one comes with the kit. The Campag one is steel so I think the alloy 2 bolter would be lighter than an alloy bolt and steel circlip combo.

BUT is the new design the same as the old design? Will the old style bolt fit perfectly?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:43 am 

No-one had done it that I knew of (google and WW search) which was part of the idea in the first place plus I had the TISO kit use anyway.

I think the kit is intended for Chorus or Record as there is not circlip included therefore you'd be expected to use the existing one (which I don't have). So it ooks like this is the end product for now. Flip side is I have a shiny Red TISO Campagnolo fixing bolt if anyone is interested?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:22 am 

You can use alloy limit screws and replace the Ti cable adjuster with a tiso unit to drop another couple of G's :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 am 

Dman wrote:
No-one had done it that I knew of (google and WW search) which was part of the idea in the first place plus I had the TISO kit use anyway.

I think the guy on WW who was looking to do the same thing aborted his attempt as well.
The strange thing is that the Campag 2011 tech docs still show the mechs using the old design so I'm not sure if the 2-part bolt is available as a spare.

Dman wrote:
I think the kit is intended for Chorus or Record as there is not circlip included

You can get the circlip as spare part (10-RD-RE015) or salvage it from an old mech. It's the same part from Veloce up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:53 pm 

OK Since you guys couldn't work it out here's how it's done - here's how to undo the mounting bolt on a Campagnolo 11sp SR/Record/Chorus derailleur.

Most people realise you use a T25 torx driver (not 5mm allen key) to put a campagnolo derailleur on a frame:

and some people know there's a T30 hole on the back. But the T30 and the T25 are actually each side of the same part, you cannot undo the bolt using the T25:

To undo the two-part mounting screw you need a rare(ish) tool that is used on some cars. Like Fords on their airbags. It's a T30 sized 5-point torx driver. A good auto parts store can get you one. Without it you can't undo the two-part mounting bolt. Tap this into the 5-grooves you can see from the outside of the derailleur till it's home. Use this 5-star bit and undo anti-clockwise against the T30 on the back. Campagnolo Srl use strong blue thread-locker on the thread of the two bolt halves. You will think it's about to shear off and then it will suddenly let go:

This is the two-part pivot bolt apart. Re-grease the pivot, replace spring/and or mount stop sleeve (RD-SR016), apply new threadlocker and put back together:

The 5-point torx bit leaves minor damage (seen inside the hole) but it's the closest tool I can find. And the tool is cheaper than a new pivot bolt. Campagnolo Srl must use a special proprietary tool to assemble the derailleur at the factory.

I hope this helps the next person who is trying to work out how to undo the mount bolt!

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:53 pm 
  • 6.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 931 components by Campagnolo