Mavic Ksyrium Elite vs Shimano DA C24 or Fulcrum Racing Zero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

No experience with the Fulcrum, but of the other two I don't think you can beat the Shimano. (I do like the Mavics.)
The c24s are killer. They're better than my Zipp 101s in every way except holding high speed in crits. the do roll up faster though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

l2ider

by l2ider

So is it worth it to upgrade from the Ksyrium Elite S to the DA C24 9000 TL for $300?

I'm 160lbs or 72.5kg and there are plenty of hills where I live. Typically my rides will be ratio of 10 miles to 1000 feet elevation give or take.

I also don't go all out on descents. Had a bad crash a few years ago and broke my neck so now I enjoy the climbs and a cautious descender :)

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Fulcrum's are good wheels, but of the three they will produce the harshest ride.

Don't agree at all - I have both the Mavics and Fulcrums
I find the Fulcrums stiffer laterally and softer (compliant') vertically - less harsh ride and no wheel rub - unlike the Mavics which are harsh. The Fulcrum hubs are the best I have found on a production wheel.
Of the three wheels in question my choice would be the Fulcrums but I am bigger than average and the more robust Fulcrum is more my style. I also only run Campy so cant really consider the C24's. Previous generation of C24's ended up about even with Fulcrums in weight in ready to ride mode with Rim tape fitted I recall.
I have always liked the C24 wheels - bit different style of wheel to the other 2 you are considering - more like the Campy Neutron - good for climbing and long rides.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

kfreytag

by kfreytag

I generally ride only tubulars, but I bought the C24 clinchers for my "rain bike". I've been very favorably impressed by them and recommend them over Ksyriums (too harsh).

I have a pair of Fulcrum 3s, but my wife rides them, so I don't have enough experience to comment.

So far, the C24s with 25mm Vittoria CX clinchers have been fantastic. Great hubs. Solid build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

Dirty32

by Dirty32

dadoflam08 wrote:Of the three wheels in question my choice would be the Fulcrums but I am bigger than average and the more robust Fulcrum is more my style.

Obviously its a personal thing, but maybe its a bit of a misconception... Of the 3, I believe the Fulcrums to have the lowest weight limit (~107kg). Then the Mavic (~250lbs) and the Shimano (no published weight limit).

Although the fulcrums may 'look' the more robust and strong of the 3 choices, they may infact not actually be the strongest wheel.

The C24's tend to look quite fine in appearance, but they'd definitely be my choice of the 3 overall, for all of the reasons that everyone else has mentioned already.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

In the fine print down this way I recall that Mavic suggests that anything over 100kg rider weight is not normal use or something along those lines -
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

sawyer

by sawyer

l2ider wrote:So is it worth it to upgrade from the Ksyrium Elite S to the DA C24 9000 TL for $300?

I'm 160lbs or 72.5kg and there are plenty of hills where I live. Typically my rides will be ratio of 10 miles to 1000 feet elevation give or take.

I also don't go all out on descents. Had a bad crash a few years ago and broke my neck so now I enjoy the climbs and a cautious descender :)

HI, welcome to WWs

Only you can make that call. I'd go tubular as it's a bigger delta

With DA vs Mavics the ride quality and hubs will be a bit better

It won't make you much if any faster
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

+1 on tubular as well.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

TonyMM

by TonyMM

Which hubs are better in terms of smoothness ? Dura Ace or Fulcrum ?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Shimano c24 spokes are sapim CX-sprints so very much stainless steel. Both Shimano and Campagnolo/fulcrum hubs are equally smooth little in it really.

The fulcrums do look good. Weight if true is not bad. However if you talk to a wheel builder you will find you can get clincher builds using a wide wim like the Pacenti SL23 18F/24R on WI T11 hubs with CX-ray spokes which will be the same weight, cheaper and perform as well. Except the SL23 rim is wider so if you want a marginal edge there it is.

Trying to choose between the C24's and the racing zero's is like trying to split hairs the rim width is the same (internally) as well. If those are the one's you want pick the one you like the look of the most.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Oh and can people stop saying a wheel is compliant vertically. Wheels do not deflect enough vertically to make a difference to ride quality. The internal width of the fulcrum (if you have the 2015 model) being wider than the mavic wheel (17mm vs 15mm) and therefore you have a larger air volume to absorb road bumps. If you are riding on the old model then the effect will be down to sound attenuation in the wheel. Complinat wheels (vertically) will fall apart and break spokes!

I assume dedoflam08 you can tell the difference between the 2014 and 2015 models so the ride quality improvement over the mavics will be down to the internal width of the rim. And yes the fulcrum wheel will be stiffer. Wider rims are always stiffer than narrower ones.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Something about steel bearings. I'm more comfortable with them which will always tilt me to the Shimano over the Fulcrum.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

sawyer

by sawyer

bm0p700f wrote:Trying to choose between the C24's and the racing zero's is like trying to split hairs the rim width is the same (internally) as well. If those are the one's you want pick the one you like the look of the most.

Hi

Agree on the hubs, and that they are both good hoops, though have to respectfully disagree on ride quality.

I've owned and ridden countless numbers of all these wheels over 15 years and the best wheels from a comfort perspective always either have steel spokes or carbon spokes

There have been various threads on here explainaing steel spokes provide a slight suspension type effect, whereas alu don't, or do but to significantly lesser degree

On smooth roads I'd put them more or less equal as the alu spoked wheels tend to have more direct jump no doubt for the same reason.

The other thing is that fat alu spokes catch the wind much more than cx rays which stands up even if you don't buy into the comfort point
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Svetty

by Svetty

Agree re sidewinds - the fat bladed Mavic alu spokes are noticeably more prone to this than the thin bladed steel ones in the C24s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com