Mavic Ksyrium Elite vs Shimano DA C24 or Fulcrum Racing Zero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ladefoged86

by ladefoged86

I do realize that different aspects of this discussion has been raised several times before...

But... will I notice any difference the these wheelsets?

The bike is a Cannondale Synapse HiMod, year 2012 equipped with Mavic Ksyrium Elite S.

The weight penalty from:
Elite to Shimano DA 9000 CS24 is app. 170 grams
Elite to Fulcrum Racing Zero is app. 100 grams

All 3 wheels get very nice reviews. I want the best wheelset, and do not care so much about the looks (function over fashion!).

My budget is max the price of the Fulcrum Racing Zero (app. €1.000). I would love a pair of high quality high profile (35-50 mm) carbon clinchers, but I do not believe I can such a wheelset within my budget! Carbon clinchers within my budget I believe they are too heavy, and I do not like the idea of buying a used wheelset.

I mainly ride the relative flat terrain in Denmark. I participate in races (just for fun) and bike 3-4 times a week. My weight is app. 85 kg (185 pounds).

Will I ever notice the difference if I buy a new wheelset? or should I just put the money in the bank.

/Thomas

indigo

by indigo

Hi there,

Why have you limited your choice to these wheelsets ?

If you're new to racing and want to spend some $$$, get an affordable power solution and focus on training the best that you can.

If you really want to get new wheels, on your flat terrain the small weight differences really aren't a big deal, so yeh get yourself some deeper rims. With the budget you mention, consider some handbuilts. I've only heard good things about Gigantex.

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Agree with the above - whilst light wheels do spin up slightly quicker they really come into their own on the hills. Everyone has their opinion - often this is more about validating their own purchasing decisions than reflecting real world objective properties of the wheels in question.

I'd go for something along the lines of the RS61 35mm Shimano clinchers and save a few euros to spend on other things but I'm sure some will recommend other factory wheelsets, and others suggest the seductions of hand-builts.

Providing you avoid extremes it's a crap shoot really but there aren't any really poor factory wheels at the price you're looking at IMO.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

If you are set on your choices, the DA c24 wheels/hubs are fantastic and are pretty noticeable in hub quality over the ksyriums. I haven't has as much experience with the racing zeros.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

From those 3 choices, I also agree that the C24 is my top choice. I have ad all 3 and sold the other 2 sets. My C24's overall seem to be the best out of the box wheelset when you look at all parts of the discussion. I might look at the C35 also if you want something deeper, still has the great hub.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Skriver lige på dansk, børkop har fulcrum på tilbud til 5500kr.. Så får du altså ikke bedre hjul til Danmark + de keramiske lejer er så lækre.. Har selv Red Passion udgaven :-)

l2ider

by l2ider

Should I upgrade from the Ksyrium Elite S wheel set to the DA C24 9000 TL for $300? Actually only $200 more for the DA but then I'll be getting new Continental 4000S II tires so added the extra $100. Both are brand new so it's not new vs used.

Uncanny, as I'm in almost the same predicament. Was actually going to post regarding the difference between the Ksyrium Elite S vs DA C24 9000 TL wheel set.

I have the 2014 Synapse Hi Mod 2 Red which came with the Ksyrium Elite S wheels and Yksion tires. Haven't ridden these but rode the Ksyrium SL for several years and didn't really have a complaint with those.

Figured with new bike, I'd try another wheel set and heard only positives regarding the DA C24 9000. I actually think the Elite S are lighter but not by much.

So worth the extra $300 investment? I love the Contis, been riding only those for past 2 years after frequent flats with other brands.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I own both the Mavic Krysium Elite and the Shimano Dura Ace C-24. The Mavic feels a little more sure-footed, however the Dura Ace feels lighter and quicker to accelerate. If I had to say it another way, I think I'd prefer downhills on the Mavic, but accelerating and climbs on the Dura Ace. With my tire combination (Michelin's) I find changing out tubes easier with the Shimano.

Other points to ponder, the Mavics are more proprietary in design so the Shimano's might be a better from a maintenance standpoint Mavic's are also a sealed hub design which I think makes them a better winter choice while adding some minimal rolling resistance. Mavic's look a bit nicer, at least on my Trek.

Personally I prefer the Shimano's overall, but there are advantages to each design which is why i kept the Mavci's for my older Trek 5200 while putting on C 24's on my C-59. Both of them are good products, I just think the Shimano Dura Ace is a cut above.

Lastly, instead of focusing on Fulcrum take a look at Campy(same company)
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

kgt

by kgt

Since you mainly ride in flat terrains and your weight is over 80 kg I say go for Fulcrum. Top hubs, bombproof, great riding feel and the best looks by far.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Fulcrum's are good wheels, but of the three they will produce the harshest ride.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

kgt

by kgt

At 85kg rider weight I don't think so... At least for my 80kg they were not harsh at all.

sawyer

by sawyer

This is an old chestnut

I have ridden or owned all three and like the DAs best. Alu spokes are a no-no, though they are tough

Mavic hubs are inferior to the loose ball type
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

@ sawyer. aren't dura ace spokes alloy?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

sawyer

by sawyer

@fromtrektocolnago - DA spokes are stainless steel

On my iteration they were painted black - which comes off very easily and looks cac
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Mine are black. Never thought about it. Have them for over a year. No aesethic issues at all.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)