Shimano Dura Ace 9000 Shifter Issue (& 6800 cassette moan)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dynaserve

by dynaserve

I'm having an issue with my DA 9000 front shifter. I tend to leave the chain in the big ring most of the time. When setting off or infrequently during a ride the down shift lever won't engage and just swings in freely. A couple of movements and it engages and then seems to work fine for the rest of the ride. The trim and upshift to the big ring always work fine and the levers are as new with about 250 miles on them.

Is anyone else having this issue? Will it get worse? Is it a design defect (that Shimano may engineer out)?

Also rather annoying I'm finding on the new 11 speed cassettes (6800) that when shifting up from around 5 to 6 it seems to 'mis-engaging' with the chain 'skipping' over the teeth for half revolution. This is happening on two different bikes. All other gears seem fine. I'm running both 9000 and 6800 chains.

Thanks!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

Are you sure you aren't hitting the brake lever when downshifting? That would disengage the small lever.
It could also be the high limit screw, if too tight, the cable tension would be very high to keep it on the big ring ratchet and this could lock up the release mechanism.
Release the cable from the FD and check if everything works correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

What's the ratio on the cassette you're using. The half revolution could be going from 15t to 17t or from 17t to 19t vs only one step on the higher gears.

dynaserve

by dynaserve

@efeballi - Thanks for the great ideas. The downshift lever is not catching the larger upshift/brake lever (although it is the same sensation). I have let off the outer limit screw but its not that. Cable tension is high, but I need this for it to shift / trim correctly. It only seems to happen when I leave it in the high trim position (highest cable tension).

@ Flemish - Its a 11-25, so I think the ratios are 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25. I'll check to see if it only happens 17-19 and/or 19/21. Funny I never had this with 10 speed.

marcelflash

by marcelflash

What type of frontderailleur clamp do you use? I changed mine for the original DI2/9000 clamp (old was a campa clamp witch made de front derailleur stand too far over the big ring farther from the seattube) Now the frontderailleur is closer to the seattube and trimming issues are solved. This is on a 6800 group with 6800 crank.

If your rearderailleur hanger is not wide enough, the derailleurhangerbolt can tilt a little and is the same as a bend hanger.
I had to counter bend my hanger so that the pulleycage is exact parralel with my cassette. now Idond hear my cassette anymore.

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Front mech is braze-on, utilizing 9000 grub screw. I'm running a compact chainset and the front mech may sit slightly high (I'm reluctant to take the file out on my Cervelo to drag the hole down).

Interesting on the hanger, which looks flimsy on the S5 - Perhaps a more substantial one is available?

marcelflash

by marcelflash

Is your braze-on lik in this picture? It seems stiff enough but can you tell me what the distance is from center seattube to center fixing bolt of the front derailleur?
I still think your derailleur is too far out

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

I had the same problem with my 2004 Dura-Ace 7900 front shifter, but most likely from a different cause (wear and gunk/residue). I could never reproduce the problem off the bike, but it happened more frequently in cold weather, and I sometimes had to struggle quite a bit to finally get the shifter to engage the downshift.

Probably not advisable on brand new shifters, but I resolved it with a WD-40 cleaning, pressurized air to get as much as possible of the WD-40 and gunk out, then a few drops of light oil.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg