Advice need for training bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cappo455

by cappo455

Hi Guys,

I am currently using a Specialized Venge with Di2 for all of my racing/training and have done all my winter miles on it. Its a great bike handles well etc.

Anyway i want to have a 2nd bike specifically just for training in all sorts of weather. And keep my venge just for the races.

So i am on the look out for a frame:
- That is very simalar to the venue geometry
- Have proper mud guard eyelets, so i can put good mud guards on and they will survive all year
- Di2 specifc cable routing
- and it must look cool as well
- I am open to using different materials for frame as it is not a race bike - steel/Ti/carbon/Alu

In terms of low maintenance the Di2 is the way to go just charge once in a while and go. So i will defo be putting this on the bike. I had a bike where i put it on the outside of frame and it just looked nasty.

What options do i have?

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I would say allez because of the geo similarities to the venge but it doesn't have fender eyelets.

Might be best to go custom; if you're ponying up to put di2 on and you need it to look cool might as well get some custom ti or steel. Check out mosiac cycles, they have done a few cool bikes like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stats

by Stats

I'm not sure whether you're using DA or Ult Di2 and which series, or whether you want to keep them consistent, however, your could look for a runout deal on a 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc which had a decent stock spec including 10sp Ult Di2.

You could then use the Crud mudguards which don't need eyelets in the frame... and the whole bike looks pretty cool to me.

cappo455

by cappo455

Sounds pretty cool, the cannondale i mean.

I will be running ult di2. It is the ultimate winter group set, just oil chain and charge the batt, and it still works perfect every time!

but i want a bike with proper eyelets for mud gaurds. I did a quality volume of winter miles this year and went through 2 sets of mudguards, literally they disitergrated off of the bike.

Them mosiac bikes look cool also.

any other choices

emorydptt

by emorydptt

I think you would be hard pressed to meet your criteria of a frame and it allow for fender eyelet for mudguards.
Why not buy another lower end venge so that you will have the same geometry.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

rene5311

by rene5311

Take a look at www.breadwinnercycles.com

I just got a lolo for my everyday day and I could not be more impressed with the ride quality. They can build a bike that meets all your requirements.

NGMN

by NGMN

I tried to think of an off the shelf bike that fit the requirements and came up short. I think custom steel is a good bet.

aerozy

by aerozy

You could buy an off the shelf frame with fender eyelets and just drill the holes for your di2 setup. I've just converted my aeroroad to di2 and it was easier than I thought it would be.

Just watch out for the bb. Buy one with pressfit bottom bracket as you'll need access down there to slot the wires together.

I know lower end Trek frames have fender eyelets. Im sure other low end frames must have them as well.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Svetty

by Svetty

My tuppenceworth:

Ti would be my choice of frame material for a winter bike. Going custom would enable you to reproduce the geometry of your Venge - assuming your fit on this is OK of course. If you get a decent frame that will last for years the investment will ultimately be worthwhile even if you need to compromise on the build initially to meet a budget.

aaric

by aaric

If I were riding where I'd need full fenders with actual mounts, I'd seriously consider going with hydraulic discs...I figure if your mudguards are disintegrating, your rims aren't going to last many seasons.

Perhaps a calfee adventure? http://calfeedesign.com/adventure/ I'd bet they could do whatever geometry you'd want.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I am surprised this group hasn't come up with the Trek Domane. High end carbon race bike with hidden fender mounts and clearance for decent tires. And if anything happens to the Venge you can race the Trek without penalty. Ultimate winter trainer IMO.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

NGMN

by NGMN

The domane is pretty different in terms of fit.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

But nothing that can't be overcome with seatpost and stem options.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

PJCM

by PJCM

Maybe consider Crud RoadRacer mudguards to expand your options beyond frames with eyelets.

Mine have survived a year of heavy use. They contain a lot of water, don't rattle and look OK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

I just notices today that the madone 4 series meets your criteria, eyelets, internal di2 compatibility, and can be project oned.