105 5700 shifters and ultegra 6700 rear deraileur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treetrees

by treetrees

Ok guys need your help with a problem with the rear derailleur or something else. Right then I have 105 5700 shifters and ultegra 6700 rear derailleur all 10 speed with ultegra 11-25 cassette and kmc 10sl chain . Since I put all this on and ridden for about 200miles it has never been right, it seems to change ok ish but never absolutely spot on . I think the frame is out slightly as I took it to a shop and he said the hanger was bent which he straightened but it was still not brill . I decided to buy a new hanger but when I put it on the mech was not pointing straight down , so I brought an alignment tool and straightened it horizontally and vertically but I am still getting noise as if it needs a 1/4 turn on the adjuster . I have set up the rear without the chain on to make sure that the pulley wheels line up with the cogs when shifting which is all good but as soon as the chain is on it messes up , I have tried 2 different wheels and another cassette but is still out, any ideas

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Does the hanger move when you tighten the QR?

treetrees

by treetrees

nope , everything is solid. cheers for the reply

Svetty

by Svetty

B screw adjustment out?

treetrees

by treetrees

yeap , tried it in and out but out was the best.

treetrees

by treetrees

Don't know whether to try new cable or new derailleur first or new chain none of which are very old .

mattr

by mattr

Is the cable clamped on the right side of the pinch bolt?

latman

by latman

could the chain be asymmetric and on the wrong way ?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Lets go back to basics. What's the mileage on the components? How old is the cassette, how old is the chain?

treetrees

by treetrees

all components are less than 4months old and chain cleaned regularly , cables are jagwire l3 frame is caad8

treetrees

by treetrees

I did have a fall which is why I had the hanger checked.

treetrees

by treetrees

Just read a post about someone in a very similar position who put dura ace 9000 cables on and cured it. Maybe I should try that

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

i don't think the cables are the issue. Something is not properly aligned. You say that it shifts like it needs another 1/4 turn of the adjuster, but you didn't specify which way. Is this in all gears, or in one in particular? Also, have you tried another chain? My initial impression is that you either overcorrected the new hanger, or undercorrected it, which is leading to the problem you are having.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I especially think that cables can be the issue.
If your cables are old, housings are damaged or any other problem will make your derailleur move really unstable.

Make sure that all cable system is nice and smooth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bananasbrah

by bananasbrah

Change inner and outer cables, remove mech, remove hanger, remove cassette; rebuild.
In my experience an old inner cable and/or a rusty/old/dirt-filled outer cable can have a big impact on shifting, certainly enough to make you think something's broken.

Honestly it still sounds like a bent hanger to me... Pick up a cheap used mech off eBay and give it a go, should give you an idea of what the problem is if nothing else.