Dead (temporary) 9070 Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I have a fairly new 9070 Di2 install on a road bike that suddenly went dead during a ride. This wasn't a battery going down dead, but a complete loss of front and rear shifting suddenly.

Getting back to the house and plugging in the charger, the charger light did not light.
I could not any any of the lights/indicators to light on the junction.
Went through and checked all the connections (including removing crank and bearings and checking the lower junction). Everything was 'snapped in' and tight.
I disconnected and reconnected the internal battery. At that point, everything started working again. (It also showed 100% charge.)

It almost seemed like the disconnect/reconnect of the battery 'rebooted' something. One could also conclude that the battery wasn't connected properly and loose, but I'm pretty certain that was not the case. The cable connector was 'snapped in'.

Tonight I am planning on hooking it up to the SM-PCE1, update the firmware and see if any error codes show up.

Just posting to see if anyone has had any experience like this? Any ideas on why it occured?

Thanks...
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

My sm-pce1 did not work right out of the box. However I was able to update firmware using the internal battery charger

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Its possible that for whatever reason, the internal circuitry on the battery "tripped". It actually describes this in the dealers manual and states that to reset it you disconnect it and reconnect it ( which is exactly what you did). I will dig up the entry and post it for your reference.

kode54

by kode54

if you are used to mechanical shift housings...most likely, you have too much tension with the handlebar/shifter connection point...and may have even disconnected at one of those connections. best thing to do is to keep the electronic cables in a wiggle pattern while using electrical tape, or not even use electrical tape to hold the e-cables. try that first and see if that helps.

oh, i forgot to add that the junction box is always suspect as well. with both left and right going out, either cable to power or to the FD brains may be loose. double check all cables.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I'm good on the cable loop kode54. This is my 3rd Di2 build...7970, 6870, 9070.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Here is the quote from the dealers manual, page 14:

< About system power reset >
• When the system fails to operate, the system may be recovered by resetting the system power.
• After the battery is removed, about one minute is usually required for the system power to reset.
< SM-BTR1 >
• Remove the battery from the battery mount. After about one minute, install the battery.
< SM-BTR2 >
• Disconnect the plug from SM-BTR2. After about one minute, insert the plug.

I discovered this during one install, where I accidentally pinched the e tube cable coming from the internal battery. The pinch was due to trying to route it around the BB and the BB tube cut through the insulation and shorted the wires. It took a reset of unplugging the battery and then waiting a minute for everything to work again, as above. Until the minute elapsed, nothing worked.

kode54

by kode54

Gearhead65 wrote:I'm good on the cable loop kode54. This is my 3rd Di2 build...7970, 6870, 9070.

got it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ergott

by ergott

Good to know about the reset. One reason I'm glad the bike I'm building up is all external wired is the fact that I can work on anything out in the field if need be. I think I'll keep the tool for the plugs with me in my saddle bag. Can't hurt.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

Interesting. Thanks goodboyr for the info. I will make another pass through the bike as well for any possiblity of pinched cables.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

Updated firmware to all the parts last night. Errored checked and all showed OK. Hopefully it does not occur anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com