Cracked dropout LOOK 586 SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ave

by ave

I had a very slow speed fall today, and this is the end result:

I was puzzled why on Earth the hanger did not bend instead.

Then checked the spare one I got with the frame, and that one looks surprisingly weaker.

I'm pretty sure this latter one would have bended instead of cracking the carbon droupout.

It seems like a bad design. I realize it was an accident, but come on, this was not even an proper fall, I was taking a downhill hairpin pretty slow when the front wheel slid.
A frame should survive such an impact, shouldn't it?

Any idea what to do with it?

em3

by em3

The slower u go, the harder u fall....in most cases slow speed crashes will often yield more damage to ur body and your bike. Regarding ur dropout, is it possible that the fall impact was centered on skewer end which would have then transferred to ur dropout? Or does the evidence (e.g. scrape /scratch on rear mech knuckle) point to impact directly on rear mech? The former may explain why your hanger didn't absorb the impact and bend as designed. EM3

PS: are u sure that spare hanger is correct for ur frame....it certainly doesn't appear to b anywhere as robust as what is presently installed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thencameyou

by thencameyou

ave wrote:I had a very slow speed fall today, and this is the end result:

I was puzzled why on Earth the hanger did not bend instead.

Then checked the spare one I got with the frame, and that one looks surprisingly weaker.

I'm pretty sure this latter one would have bended instead of cracking the carbon droupout.

It seems like a bad design. I realize it was an accident, but come on, this was not even an proper fall, I was taking a downhill hairpin pretty slow when the front wheel slid.
A frame should survive such an impact, shouldn't it?

Any idea what to do with it?

Oh dear. The same thing happened to my 586 when it fell over (leant against a wall). It is a bad design. I love the frame so sent to the US (Ruckus Composites) who replaced the dropout. Have just got it back and about to be rebuilt. PM me if you want any more info.

latman

by latman

show us some other photo angles ,I would Imagine Jure Berk in Slovakia is a better repair option than sending the frame to America. Do Look have a preferred repairer in Hungary ?

ave

by ave

I've been in contact with the shop where I bought it, they can only forward my photos to LOOK in France.

I'll take some better pictures soon with my brother's Canon. Unfortunaly my camera can't do manual focus, all the pics I took are blurry.
Meanwhile I've acquired a few contacts who fix carbon stuff over here. I even know one of them personally, his metal work is first class, I hope he can do carbon just as well.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

latman wrote:show us some other photo angles ,I would Imagine Jure Berk in Slovakia is a better repair option than sending the frame to America. Do Look have a preferred repairer in Hungary ?

Slovakia ... Slovenia..... same place right? :roll:
Official cafe stop tester

latman

by latman

jekyll man wrote:
latman wrote:show us some other photo angles ,I would Imagine Jure Berk in Slovakia is a better repair option than sending the frame to America. Do Look have a preferred repairer in Hungary ?

Slovakia ... Slovenia..... same place right? :roll:

oops my apologies to slovenians and slovakians

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com