HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:18 pm
Posts: 376
I am not talking about smartphones that are on the market today. I mean a new developed smartphone for sports like cycling.

_________________
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... 11af34.jpg
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... 87f433.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:09 am
Posts: 346
The market is way too small for such a device from an outside player.

Keep in mind only cyclistst need to have their device out front in the open. Runners etc. don't have that issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 am
Posts: 41
Device Only
Edge 1000
Preloaded maps
Mounts (standard and out-front)
Tether
USB cable
Manuals

Bundle Version
Edge 1000
Preloaded maps
Mounts (standard and out-front)
Speed sensor
Cadence sensor
Premium heart rate monitor
Tether
USB cable
Manuals


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:17 pm
Posts: 102
I love hearing you all be like "this blows, I'm sticking with my Garmin 800 (810)."

Dudes, I am still riding my Garmin 705!!!! From like 2008. Works perfectly fine to this day.

No battery issues.

Water in USB?!?!? Someone said that, sure maybe, but the little rubber thing went on mine years ago and I do a fair bit of rain riding - no issues.

All features still work. I've downloaded routes and risen this bad boy for 6k every year and it still works fine.

We did a century last automn and the ride leader, also the route guy, couldn't make it. Downloaded the same route from the year before and the entire group did it following me. The 705 - this "old" unit - did it with aplomb.

I will say this, Garmin makes stuff that lasts. Doesn't look good, but it lasts. The map/route feature has saved me a ton and I've downloaded routes all over the place and done them not knowing where I am. Yes, an iPhone works too, but it drains wicked battery, can't mount too well (unless you have a mount) and just kind of stinks (apple maps stinks - google ok, and waze useless on a bike).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in - Garmin makes good stuff. Though this thing looks to be wicked big.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 pm
Posts: 2013
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
My 705 and 800 beg to differ. Think the 305 that I have still works though.

_________________
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 am
Posts: 41
Will old GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Bike Sensor work with Garmin 1000?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 653
Location: The Taint of the USA!
tomyboy2 wrote:
Will old GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Bike Sensor work with Garmin 1000?

It's ANT+, so yes.

_________________
2013 Madone 5, Superfly
2012 SpeedConcept 7, Cobia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm
Posts: 10
I'd rather use an iphone, its just HUGE.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:06 am
Posts: 37
Ive got to say thats huge. Just too big. Its got a lot of great options that Id like to have, but SOmetimes going to far is just going to far. If I already didnt have a 500, and loved it, Id prob look at that. That is if I didnt have any experience with the 500. Im 5'9 135 pounds and I still think I weigh too much. Specially when riding up a mountain, Id be cursing myself for carrying a Brick of a Garmin while climbing for 10 miles straight...even though I should really be blaming my lack of training for the ride itself...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 am
Posts: 35
I have to agree with people who are raising question marks on this device. I think Garmin is missing the boat on this and choosing cell phones with big screens as its competitors.
I really do not want a bigger screen (cell phone is good for that.) I need a water and shock proof, ant+ and blutooth compatible device with longer then 12 hours battery life (with real usage, not Garmin "estimated" figures.)
I hope someone is working on a small device that we can connect to the bottom of the cell phone (for ant+ receiving) with some great SW. Even if it is 3-400 bucks, I'll ditch Garmin and switch the minute the thing is available.
P.S.
I have to admit, the remote is a good idea. I hate the "tap on the screen to go back" thingy...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:09 am
Posts: 346
Shortsocks wrote:
Ive got to say thats huge. Just too big. Its got a lot of great options that Id like to have, but SOmetimes going to far is just going to far. If I already didnt have a 500, and loved it, Id prob look at that. That is if I didnt have any experience with the 500. Im 5'9 135 pounds and I still think I weigh too much. Specially when riding up a mountain, Id be cursing myself for carrying a Brick of a Garmin while climbing for 10 miles straight...even though I should really be blaming my lack of training for the ride itself...


I assume you shave every hair of your body and excrete before every climb?

I'm sorry, but if you worry about the weight difference of a cycling computer, indeed in the words of calling those few grams in terms of a "brick" I'd say you are at Michael Rasmussen neurotic.

In general to those who prefer the 500... you all realize you are not the audience for either an 800/810 or a 1000, so why be so upset about it? It's like me being upset about a Honda Motorcycle not being a bicycle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 pm
Posts: 185
When using the device for navigation screen size and resolution becomes the critical factor. To be peering at a tiny screen to ensure that you follow the intended route means taking your eyes off the road - with obvious potential for disaster.

For racing sure this isn't the ideal device - that's why Garmin have a range of different devices with different strengths and weaknesses. Just choose the model that suits the intended purpose, job done :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 am
Posts: 21
Nice product from Garmin, however it is somehow big for my taste. But if there is way to insert SIM card and use it as phone without having one in back pocket... then probably I would throw away my iPhone :-) We are almost there!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 94
ronderman wrote:
I love hearing you all be like "this blows, I'm sticking with my Garmin 800 (810)."

Dudes, I am still riding my Garmin 705!!!! From like 2008. Works perfectly fine to this day.

No battery issues.

Water in USB?!?!? Someone said that, sure maybe, but the little rubber thing went on mine years ago and I do a fair bit of rain riding - no issues.

All features still work. I've downloaded routes and risen this bad boy for 6k every year and it still works fine.

We did a century last automn and the ride leader, also the route guy, couldn't make it. Downloaded the same route from the year before and the entire group did it following me. The 705 - this "old" unit - did it with aplomb.

I will say this, Garmin makes stuff that lasts. Doesn't look good, but it lasts. The map/route feature has saved me a ton and I've downloaded routes all over the place and done them not knowing where I am. Yes, an iPhone works too, but it drains wicked battery, can't mount too well (unless you have a mount) and just kind of stinks (apple maps stinks - google ok, and waze useless on a bike).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in - Garmin makes good stuff. Though this thing looks to be wicked big.


My 2008 Edge 705 is still rock solid! No issues whatsoever! Maybe the battery did loose some longevity, I did lots of Audax in 2010-2011 with some 20h rides and the batteries held on just fine. Last month I was out on a 9h ride and got the LOW BATTERY warning 13km from the finish. Nowadays I have a powermeter and use 1-sec recording, but Garmin says it won't affect battery drain. Ordered a more powerful battery and will replace it next week.

Regarding the Edge 1000 or even the 510/810, they just don't stand as an option for me. Nothing really great to justify the premium $$$. I would gladly upgrade my 705 for something in the 500 form factor, with mapping functions and full powermeter support with extended battery life. Maybe the SRM PC8 will bring it all together?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Garmin Edge 1000
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:28 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: New Garmin Edge 1000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 pm
Posts: 124
Location: UK - Hertfordshire
They are getting ludicrously big. Why the deuce would you want such a giant eyesore stuck on the front of your wafer thin elite race bike??

I am sure it's a good bit of kit but it look gaudy as hell to me. Cateye stealth is more than large enough a device of you ask me. Though technology was meant to be shrinking in size these days? :(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
2012 Canyon Ultimate AL 8.0


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drewb, Husum, Yahoo [Bot], Ypsylon and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Sub-$1000 sub-900g Frames?

in Road

PDXWheels

1

540

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:47 pm

aaric View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Garmin spaces

in Road

jacobHansen

3

563

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am

jockster View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. LOOK 695 and Garmin Vector pedals

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

slick1

15

738

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:10 am

slick1 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Garmin magnets replacements

in Road

fifarafa

4

574

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 am

Nebby View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. KCNC Garmin Mount Review.

in Road

Shortsocks

4

743

Tue May 20, 2014 1:42 pm

53x12 View the latest post


It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB