New Garmin Edge 1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Scoops

by Scoops

Has anyone come up with an ingenious way of mounting the cadence sensor on the crank arm? I think the rubber bands are very low budget! I was thinking about glueing it on or using double sided tape.

morrisond

by morrisond

Scoops wrote:Has anyone come up with an ingenious way of mounting the cadence sensor on the crank arm? I think the rubber bands are very low budget! I was thinking about glueing it on or using double sided tape.

Get a Stages Power Meter - Not only will it send Power Readings the 1000 - but it also functions as a Cadence sensor - and the sensor is permanently mounted to the crank arm. Problem Solved - You didn't specify a budget for solving the problem....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mize

by Mize

If your pedals have magnetic (steel) spindles then just get a disc shaped rare earth magnet and slap it to the inside of the spindle (hex head) and align the mainstay sensor. No band, no glue.

Franklin

by Franklin

Mize wrote:If your pedals have magnetic (steel) spindles then just get a disc shaped rare earth magnet and slap it to the inside of the spindle (hex head) and align the mainstay sensor. No band, no glue.

That's no solution here as there is no mainstay sensor.

The issue is that the new system has a sensor/accelrometer which you attach to the crank arm with thick elastic bands.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Will the speed en cadence sensor of the edge 800 work flawless with the Edge 1000?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Tillquist

by Tillquist

poppiholla wrote:Will the speed en cadence sensor of the edge 800 work flawless with the Edge 1000?

Yes
See all my bike h e r e

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

maxxevv

by maxxevv

This should make for a good read for those looking at this computer:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garm ... eview.html

Mize

by Mize

Franklin wrote:
Mize wrote:If your pedals have magnetic (steel) spindles then just get a disc shaped rare earth magnet and slap it to the inside of the spindle (hex head) and align the mainstay sensor. No band, no glue.

That's no solution here as there is no mainstay sensor.

The issue is that the new system has a sensor/accelrometer which you attach to the crank arm with thick elastic bands.

That's called "autocorrect" mainstay is a "smart"phone way of saying "chainstay" - I know, it's compikated. ;)

I'm saying you don't need a banded magnet (it's not an accelerometer) on the crank arm - just a good rare earth on the head of the pedal spindle out of sight. Been using this for years.

Mize

by Mize

Here's what I mean about the magnet:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... (neodymium)-magnet-to-replace-the-GSC-10-crank-arm-magnet

Franklin

by Franklin

Mize wrote:I'm saying you don't need a banded magnet (it's not an accelerometer) on the crank arm - just a good rare earth on the head of the pedal spindle out of sight. Been using this for years.

We are talking about the Garmin 1000. That one does not have a magnet but an accelerometer! There is no longer a sensor unit on the chainstay, nor is there a magnet. :smartass:

The most interesting are two new magnet-less speed & cadence sensors. One is a speed-only sensor, and the other is a cadence-only sensor. They are also selling however a speed/cadence combo package – but that’s simply the two individual sensors packaged together.

Traditional sensors have required magnets attached in addition to the sensors. These however use accelerometers to measure cadence and distance. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to poke at these in real life, so instead I have a bit of a confusing computer-generated image of how they look. Obviously, as part of my in-depth review I’ll be testing them, and in particular validating the accuracy of them against magnet based units as well.

Mize

by Mize

Doh! My bad. So no way to escape the crank-wart on this one.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

anyone use the new sensors? I was too cheap to get new ones and just used my GSC-10. Feedback would be nice if anyone has used them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Pulled trigger on the sensors. I dont know if its really a upgrade but they work nice. I was sceptical at first about cadence but it works well. Its doesnt read instantly, takes about three revolutions before it gives a reading. It is very accurate . I wouldnt buy it if you already if you have gsc10. Just my input hope that helps.