New Garmin Edge 1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

intheknowcycling

by intheknowcycling

Hbrown wrote:Where do I begin? Todays ride was 88 deg, I took it really ez, and rode on the MUP, around the Kelley drive here in Philadelphia. It is a beautiful loop around the Schuykill river.

I am very tech oriented, but I can only remember looking at my 1000 maybe twice over the ride of 22 miles. The scenery was gorgouse! The few joggers that were out were not all over the MUP as usual. It was Beautiful!!

The beeps, I heard. i know that I was below my heart rate, so it was not unexpected. not intrusive, nor obnoxiouse. My cadence was low, a beep confirmed that, no problem, I wasn't burning calories as I should have. A beep confirmed that. A beep here and a beep there did not diminish my experience.

What I did like was that after my ride, I carried my bike up the stairs, took a quick shower, grabbed my bowl of cerial, plopped in front of my laptop, and opened my connect. All of my ride information was already downloaded from the wifi. I connected my 1000 and uploaded to Strava, no surprise there, no acheivements. Left a comment on my frame of mind and my ride. then checked this site.

I guess what I am saying is that even though we (I) harp on how great this thing is, I don't constantly look at it. I do enjoy the scenery, I do enjoy the outdoors, and live to get out there. but not on hard effort days!!

The guy that brought my 800 from me loves it!! He is like a kid with a new toy! The funny thing about it was that he had a 500, which he has now given to his girlfriend. The 1000 is like going from a 500 to a 800! Now I went from a 800 to a 1000, There is no contest! The 1000 is, I don't know how to say it, but it is the 1000!! Screen could have been bigger! Large size! Small glitches at first but have since never happened again. NO STRAVA SEGMENTS!!!!!

BUT TRY AND TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME!!!! I DON"T THINK SO!!

With all due respects, if you and the others that replied don't look at your 1000 but a few times a ride (or at all), or just set it up to show you 2 or 3 data fields, or just have it beep at you (or not), or just use it as a heart rate monitor or to track your mileage or to tell you your cadence, or just use it to store and upload your data (or not even that), why would you spend $600 on this device when you can do all of that and more for less than $200. Or, if this is what you are looking for from a bike computer, you could just put your iPhone (and soon your Galaxy) with its larger, sharper screen with apps including STRAVA in place of the computer for the cost of a mount and a couple ANT+ sensors.

You've given me new insights into Garmin's market - more size, more bling, more expensive is better. All the added functionality they crammed into this thing doesn't really gets used ... or distract you. So its a win for Garmin and a win for you.
Steve
http://intheknowcycling.com
What cycling gear to get next and where to get it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coppercook62

by coppercook62

^
I enjoy this a lot, also nice to see where battery is to

djconnel

by djconnel

BeeSeeBee wrote:I was actually annoyed my 810 didn't have a tether, so I added one in....

Looks heavy.

TedStriker

by TedStriker

A classic example of a product being in an industry with too ineffective competition. The way these things have advance over the last 5 years (vs other tech) is, well, it's only the price that feels that different!

I upgraded to the 100 instantly, and the comical lack of intuition and ability to find/plan maps on the go is exactly that! Such a begrudging purchase!

Stegger

by Stegger

Saw this thread on the the Garmin Edge 1000 foruum (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?99688-How-to-get-Strava-Segments-on-your-Edge-1000):

I'm proud to present you a tool I've been working on for the last two weeks:
http://gniza.org/segments/

Whats the purpose:
Get Strava Segments on your Edge 1000.

How does it work:
- Find the desired Strava Segment and copy its URL or ID
- Paste the URL/Id to my tool and choose the leaderboard entries you like
- Generate/Export the FIT-File and put it onto your Edge in the directory Garmin/NewFiles
- Power on the Edge

Please note: This is a private project, nobody is funding me and there will be bugs and inconveniences.
And currently all units are metric and the german date/time format is used!
I think I'll have a internationalization option after the next weekend.

But you can already use it, even if your Edge is set to imperial units. (The generated fit file is not influenced by the units displayed in my tool)

nibby

by nibby

Damn!! Has anyone confirmed if this works?

If it does I could well be chopping in my current 800 unit :)

Stegger wrote:Saw this thread on the the Garmin Edge 1000 foruum (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?99688-How-to-get-Strava-Segments-on-your-Edge-1000):

I'm proud to present you a tool I've been working on for the last two weeks:
http://gniza.org/segments/

Whats the purpose:
Get Strava Segments on your Edge 1000.

How does it work:
- Find the desired Strava Segment and copy its URL or ID
- Paste the URL/Id to my tool and choose the leaderboard entries you like
- Generate/Export the FIT-File and put it onto your Edge in the directory Garmin/NewFiles
- Power on the Edge

Please note: This is a private project, nobody is funding me and there will be bugs and inconveniences.
And currently all units are metric and the german date/time format is used!
I think I'll have a internationalization option after the next weekend.

But you can already use it, even if your Edge is set to imperial units. (The generated fit file is not influenced by the units displayed in my tool)

Hbrown

by Hbrown

SOMEBODY, ANYBODY!! Please tell me if this works! And, can it be dumbed down any further, for people like me, so that I can import STRAVA segments to my 1000.

And I now have the Remote. My thumb is getting a workout. Hands never leave the bars. On one of my bikes I mounted it directly above my climbing shifter (DI2), so it now feels natural.

Between the DI2 button shifting, the 1000, the climbing shifter, the seperate cadence and speed sensors, and remote button, and paired to my smartphone. I feel like a cyborg (just kidding). But all together one of my bike's now uses 5 batteries !!

Stages will be next, then it will be 6 BATTERIES TOTAL! When I ride past houses I might cause electricle interference! Tv's blinking, toasters operating by themselves, porch lights turning on. And setting off car alarms!

MiSzA (PL)

by MiSzA (PL)

It does work as it puts the Strava segments as segments in the Garmin device - yet, I did not have a chance to actually see it working on the 1000 - will be able to confirm on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Thanks, I will be waiting on the outcome. I will get my son to walk me through it (damn kids and their understanding of these new fangled computing machines). Dag nabbit!

Oh and I forgot about the heart monitor thats 1 more battery!

nibby

by nibby

Same here, looking forward to hearing about it.

I personally think Garmin should allow people the option to interact with strava or gconnect. Short sighted in my view. I think it would actually interest more people in purchasing the 1000

nibby

by nibby

This is interesting.

I uploaded tonight's ride to Strava from my Garmin 800 all as normal.

Now I've just logged into Garmin Connect which is giving me a new interface that I haven't seen before. I actually really like it.
Anyway I didn't have the 800 attached at the time as I had already uploaded to Strava but Garmin Connect was showing me tonight's ride with stats etc.

I has a look at the Segments section but it was only showing one section on my ride but it did say
"We're currently experiencing a high volume of segment activity. It may take a few days to process your activity and match it to the segments you crossed"

So Garmin Connect has automatically uploaded my ride from Strava tonight and the message above seems to suggest they might also be transferring segments from Strava??

Anyone else experienced this?

Anders3404

by Anders3404

Garmin has a similar segment feature. Though very slow compared to Strava

The segments are not from Strava, but user created so they could be the same

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk

MiSzA (PL)

by MiSzA (PL)

Segments imported from Strava to Garmin work fine - tested today; when on the road, while I hit the segment start got a screen with a map, km to go and virtual ahead / behind (as of time of segment leader). Upon reaching the end of segment - got my time. So it works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Can anyone report back whether the landscape feature has been activated yet? That's probably the only thing that definitely interests me about the 1000.