New Garmin Edge 1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I am not talking about smartphones that are on the market today. I mean a new developed smartphone for sports like cycling.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Franklin

by Franklin

The market is way too small for such a device from an outside player.

Keep in mind only cyclistst need to have their device out front in the open. Runners etc. don't have that issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

Device Only
Edge 1000
Preloaded maps
Mounts (standard and out-front)
Tether
USB cable
Manuals

Bundle Version
Edge 1000
Preloaded maps
Mounts (standard and out-front)
Speed sensor
Cadence sensor
Premium heart rate monitor
Tether
USB cable
Manuals

ronderman

by ronderman

I love hearing you all be like "this blows, I'm sticking with my Garmin 800 (810)."

Dudes, I am still riding my Garmin 705!!!! From like 2008. Works perfectly fine to this day.

No battery issues.

Water in USB?!?!? Someone said that, sure maybe, but the little rubber thing went on mine years ago and I do a fair bit of rain riding - no issues.

All features still work. I've downloaded routes and risen this bad boy for 6k every year and it still works fine.

We did a century last automn and the ride leader, also the route guy, couldn't make it. Downloaded the same route from the year before and the entire group did it following me. The 705 - this "old" unit - did it with aplomb.

I will say this, Garmin makes stuff that lasts. Doesn't look good, but it lasts. The map/route feature has saved me a ton and I've downloaded routes all over the place and done them not knowing where I am. Yes, an iPhone works too, but it drains wicked battery, can't mount too well (unless you have a mount) and just kind of stinks (apple maps stinks - google ok, and waze useless on a bike).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in - Garmin makes good stuff. Though this thing looks to be wicked big.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

My 705 and 800 beg to differ. Think the 305 that I have still works though.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

Will old GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Bike Sensor work with Garmin 1000?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

tomyboy2 wrote:Will old GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Bike Sensor work with Garmin 1000?

It's ANT+, so yes.

OSOK1989

by OSOK1989

I'd rather use an iphone, its just HUGE.

Shortsocks

by Shortsocks

Ive got to say thats huge. Just too big. Its got a lot of great options that Id like to have, but SOmetimes going to far is just going to far. If I already didnt have a 500, and loved it, Id prob look at that. That is if I didnt have any experience with the 500. Im 5'9 135 pounds and I still think I weigh too much. Specially when riding up a mountain, Id be cursing myself for carrying a Brick of a Garmin while climbing for 10 miles straight...even though I should really be blaming my lack of training for the ride itself...

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have to agree with people who are raising question marks on this device. I think Garmin is missing the boat on this and choosing cell phones with big screens as its competitors.
I really do not want a bigger screen (cell phone is good for that.) I need a water and shock proof, ant+ and blutooth compatible device with longer then 12 hours battery life (with real usage, not Garmin "estimated" figures.)
I hope someone is working on a small device that we can connect to the bottom of the cell phone (for ant+ receiving) with some great SW. Even if it is 3-400 bucks, I'll ditch Garmin and switch the minute the thing is available.
P.S.
I have to admit, the remote is a good idea. I hate the "tap on the screen to go back" thingy...

Franklin

by Franklin

Shortsocks wrote:Ive got to say thats huge. Just too big. Its got a lot of great options that Id like to have, but SOmetimes going to far is just going to far. If I already didnt have a 500, and loved it, Id prob look at that. That is if I didnt have any experience with the 500. Im 5'9 135 pounds and I still think I weigh too much. Specially when riding up a mountain, Id be cursing myself for carrying a Brick of a Garmin while climbing for 10 miles straight...even though I should really be blaming my lack of training for the ride itself...

I assume you shave every hair of your body and excrete before every climb?

I'm sorry, but if you worry about the weight difference of a cycling computer, indeed in the words of calling those few grams in terms of a "brick" I'd say you are at Michael Rasmussen neurotic.

In general to those who prefer the 500... you all realize you are not the audience for either an 800/810 or a 1000, so why be so upset about it? It's like me being upset about a Honda Motorcycle not being a bicycle.

Svetty

by Svetty

When using the device for navigation screen size and resolution becomes the critical factor. To be peering at a tiny screen to ensure that you follow the intended route means taking your eyes off the road - with obvious potential for disaster.

For racing sure this isn't the ideal device - that's why Garmin have a range of different devices with different strengths and weaknesses. Just choose the model that suits the intended purpose, job done :D

dogma85

by dogma85

Nice product from Garmin, however it is somehow big for my taste. But if there is way to insert SIM card and use it as phone without having one in back pocket... then probably I would throw away my iPhone :-) We are almost there!

rma

by rma

ronderman wrote:I love hearing you all be like "this blows, I'm sticking with my Garmin 800 (810)."

Dudes, I am still riding my Garmin 705!!!! From like 2008. Works perfectly fine to this day.

No battery issues.

Water in USB?!?!? Someone said that, sure maybe, but the little rubber thing went on mine years ago and I do a fair bit of rain riding - no issues.

All features still work. I've downloaded routes and risen this bad boy for 6k every year and it still works fine.

We did a century last automn and the ride leader, also the route guy, couldn't make it. Downloaded the same route from the year before and the entire group did it following me. The 705 - this "old" unit - did it with aplomb.

I will say this, Garmin makes stuff that lasts. Doesn't look good, but it lasts. The map/route feature has saved me a ton and I've downloaded routes all over the place and done them not knowing where I am. Yes, an iPhone works too, but it drains wicked battery, can't mount too well (unless you have a mount) and just kind of stinks (apple maps stinks - google ok, and waze useless on a bike).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in - Garmin makes good stuff. Though this thing looks to be wicked big.

My 2008 Edge 705 is still rock solid! No issues whatsoever! Maybe the battery did loose some longevity, I did lots of Audax in 2010-2011 with some 20h rides and the batteries held on just fine. Last month I was out on a 9h ride and got the LOW BATTERY warning 13km from the finish. Nowadays I have a powermeter and use 1-sec recording, but Garmin says it won't affect battery drain. Ordered a more powerful battery and will replace it next week.

Regarding the Edge 1000 or even the 510/810, they just don't stand as an option for me. Nothing really great to justify the premium $$$. I would gladly upgrade my 705 for something in the 500 form factor, with mapping functions and full powermeter support with extended battery life. Maybe the SRM PC8 will bring it all together?

Lewis

by Lewis

They are getting ludicrously big. Why the deuce would you want such a giant eyesore stuck on the front of your wafer thin elite race bike??

I am sure it's a good bit of kit but it look gaudy as hell to me. Cateye stealth is more than large enough a device of you ask me. Though technology was meant to be shrinking in size these days? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com