Look 695 Bearing Removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

crossifino

by crossifino

Hello All,

I just joined so I am pretty new.

I have a question, How do I get the drive side bearing off the ZED crank set with out destroying it ?

I have purchased a pair of replacement bearings and I am able to get the non drive side out and in with out a prob.

However the one that is attached to the Crank set looks harder to get off.

Any tips or advice is welcomed ...

Thanks

shadwell

by shadwell

Hi, use search on my name or look 695... Material already exists on this one.

In short, prise circ lip away from outer bearing face toward chain rings and leave it sat on the Ali section of the cranks. Care not to gouge black plastic soccer washer...

Then after wrapping the crank arms in masking tape around the chain ring mount arms to protect from scratching etc use a large flat blade screwdriver alternating around the bearing circumference to drive it toward the non drive side... Of course against the bearings inner race....

Use penetrating oil prior to this as the bearings can seize to the crank, and apply some lube onto the leading edge of the bearing to ease its sliding off the crank.... It takes a while, and care as the plastic spacer washer is easy to maul when relocating the circlip...

Have fun, it's a prick of a job...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

I prefer to use a piece of wooden dowel to a screwdriver when banging out bearings and cups. Just seems safer and less likely to damage cups, bearings or CF frame.

shadwell

by shadwell

Wood won't work in this case as you need to drive against the inner race edge of the bearing... With such a small surface area and the force to remove likely the wood would split or simply deform...

The cranks are off the farm so BB is a non issue....

Have you done LOOK 695 BB bearings on Zed or are your comments re bearings in general?

I can see a wood driver being ok to drive full bearings into a cup for example, but this application is notably different from that.....

chazman

by chazman

You will probably need to contact Look for the device used in this video to remove the bearings. I would suspect the local Look dealer would have it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u5O7EGetU8

schroeds

by schroeds

Hi all, digging up an old thread here in the hope somebody can advise me. I've bought some used Zed 2 cranks for my 695 (which I bought also used, and with other cranks on it).

The pedal side bearing is in place (and its pretty stuck), and its inside face is open (ie you can see the balls).

The OTHER bearing is closed on both sides i.e. the balls are covered.

So does that mean the open one is incomplete? Do I need to buy a new set of bearings?

If I do need to buy a new set, can you give me advice because I started researching and got confused!!. ….Seems the Bearing type is 6810 2RS…right? ....I found replacements ranging from $20 for eBay steel...to $250 or so for CBear!!!!

I'm on a budget...what can I get away with.

Thanks for any advice.

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

schroeds wrote:The OTHER bearing is closed on both sides i.e. the balls are covered.
So does that mean the open one is incomplete? Do I need to buy a new set of bearings?

My 2012 was the same. One bearing was open and Everything worked OK.
This Year I claimed Warranty on paint finish.
They send back the crank with covered new bearing or even new crank all together, can even tell..... :?
The old exposed bearing work just fine. Cleaned it every once and awhile and that was it, worked like a charm.

schroeds

by schroeds

Hi tomoyboy, hey thanks for this info.

Can I ask...what did you use to clean the bearings...my open one has lots of junk in it!

cheers

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

I use Motorex Power Brake Cleaner
http://www.rosebikes.com/article/motore ... /aid:22140
Than simply use Air Compressor, lube the bearings with some high quality grease, for example Shimano Premium grease
http://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-dura-a ... g-tub.html

schroeds

by schroeds

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com