Fulcrum Racing 5 freehub play

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

I noticed the other day that the freehub body on my Fulcrum Racing 5 rear wheel has some play in it. I took it apart, put it back together making sure everything was snug and it's still loose. You can notice it when riding as it makes a clunking noise under heavy engagement or bumps. There is grit getting in there now as the weather has been pretty average here the last few days. The wheels are around 8 months old (not sure if this is covered under warranty?). My LBS had a look (not where I purchased them) and he said it looks like I need a new freehub. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with their Fulcrum wheels?
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

The bearings in the freehub on Fulcrum R5 and R7 wear out fast, especially if you ride alot in the rain. The Freehub bearings on my R5's wore out after less than 6 months. I used my R5's on my winter/rain bike, so no surprise then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hmmm OK, thanks for the feedback. I originally had Mavic Aksiums on the commuter for around 4 years and never had to touch them. They wore out and when I went looking the Fulcrum 5 were on special so I replaced the Mavic's with those. Kind of wish I hadn't now! Oh well, I'll take them back to where I bought them and see if they can do anything for me.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

You can find cheap bearings, so changing them will not cost you a lot. And you can see if the problem caused worn out bearings or not.

martinko

by martinko

I ride my Fulcrum Racing 7s for 3rd season and they are still ok. I prefer to ride in nice weather, occasionally I get into rain due to weather changes, but they are still nice and smooth. So I would not generalize these wheels as being rubish ;-)