Parlee Z5 SLi 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adrianishikawa

by adrianishikawa

Hi guys, I just owned a Parlee Z5 SLi 2013 model for a couple of months, and I have already noticed that the rubber grommet for the shifter cables (the part where the cables enter the frame) damaged.

1. It pops right in by the pressure from the stiffness of the cables
2. It won't be properly seated in the frame

Any solutions? My bike is fixed up at my local Parlee dealer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

while its at the Parlee dealer, have them fix it. should be an easy swap with new grommet.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

joshscott187

by joshscott187

Its a really long rubber sleeve that moves a bit during use. Not sure it is an easy swap without re threading the whole outer gear housing to the front and rear mech as they pass all the way through the frame. mine slipped in the frame a bit during cleaning but you can shunt it back using the rear mech cable by pushing from the chain-stay.

Im having a bit of an issue with clicking cables when you turn the bars beyond a certain amount. wondered if anyone had come across this or found a solution?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i've had drama with mine. i emailed tom at parlee and he sent me a couple of extra ones...

i slotted mine with a razor blade and after installing i wrapped it a few times with plumbers tape to lock in the cables and give it a more 'interference' fit..
it's not perfect but it helps.. really it needs a lip on the front to stop it pulling back into the frame..
realistically the only true solution is to go electric.. its why the frame set is actually designed for :D

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

dupe

joshscott187

by joshscott187

Glad to hear im not the only one... do you get any cable noise from the housing? I really love the frame but want it to be completely silent over rough (UK roads). Im not sure if i mine was installed with the foam cable wraps but it starts the ride silent and after 50 miles seems to become rather noisy as the cables vibrates in the down tube.

I want to keep my SR mechanical and believe the full housing solution to be the right choice over cable stops and sharp internal bends. It requires very little maintenance as its fully sealed and retains shift quality. My only gripe is the noise.

adrianishikawa

by adrianishikawa

sugarkane wrote:i've had drama with mine. i emailed tom at parlee and he sent me a couple of extra ones...

i slotted mine with a razor blade and after installing i wrapped it a few times with plumbers tape to lock in the cables and give it a more 'interference' fit..
it's not perfect but it helps.. really it needs a lip on the front to stop it pulling back into the frame..
realistically the only true solution is to go electric.. its why the frame set is actually designed for :D

This really sucks... Paying top money for a top frameset but with flaws...

joshscott187 wrote:Glad to hear im not the only one... do you get any cable noise from the housing? I really love the frame but want it to be completely silent over rough (UK roads). Im not sure if i mine was installed with the foam cable wraps but it starts the ride silent and after 50 miles seems to become rather noisy as the cables vibrates in the down tube.

I want to keep my SR mechanical and believe the full housing solution to be the right choice over cable stops and sharp internal bends. It requires very little maintenance as its fully sealed and retains shift quality. My only gripe is the noise.

Mine definitely rattles with rough roads. Even over bumps.

With all of these I'd appreciated externally routed cables.

joshscott187

by joshscott187

Its a trade off as the fully sealed continuous internal run really protects against any contaminants and preserves shift quality after a downpour. I am also glad its future proofed for if I one day decide to make the jump to EPS. Ask your LBS to check they padded the cable runs inside the frame.

runner999

by runner999

Bought 2 custom Z5 frames (non sli) late 2012 before they stopped production of the external cable routing for many of those obvious issues mentioned. I have no intention of going electric shifting at this time. The external cable routing is simpler to maintain, lighter and less likely to be a rain water entry point into the frame. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

runner999

by runner999

joshscott187 wrote:Its a trade off as the fully sealed continuous internal run really protects against any contaminants and preserves shift quality after a downpour. I am also glad its future proofed for if I one day decide to make the jump to EPS. Ask your LBS to check they padded the cable runs inside the frame.

As for contaminants in the cable housing, I resolve that issue with iLinks outers with the inner Teflon housing running the full length of the rear brake and derailleur cables.