Ultegra front derailleur - more durable than 105?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Bent my 105 5700 front derailleur just 20km into a 100km race yesterday.
I was downshifting ahead of a climb, heard a hard grinding noise, and that was that.
It wasn't particularly loaded at the time, and I found it rather odd because in many years of riding I've never had it happen before.
Had to leave it in the big ring for the rest of the event, which made for a good workout :shock:

Looking online I'm seeing Ultegra FD's for just $8-$9 more, and am debating grabbing one.
Weight seems pretty damn close (irrelevant at this stage, when the rider has about 8kg yet to loose), but I'm wondering if perhaps it's a stronger mech, better geometry, or anything like that. Saw some old posts that indicated that the 105 and ult were pretty much identical, just wondering if anything's changed in that regard.

Thanks for your thoughts!
2013 CAAD 10 105
My wallet gets more weight-weenie by the day.

deltree

by deltree

Find a cheap 7900 one on eBay. No need to trim anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Either is fine. There is zero chance that the failure of the shift yesterday was a result of "lack of strength, poor geometry, or anything like that".

commendatore

by commendatore

deltree wrote:Find a cheap 7900 one on eBay. No need to trim anymore.

I thought those would only work properly with 7900 shifters? I've got one on the shelf I never had the patience to try swapping on...