Untwist bladed J-bend spokes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hey fellas...

Do you have any good idea how to easiest untwist those bladed spokes that seem to have deformed into a twist shape? These are the spokes that after tuning the wheel look right but after riding they kind of return to their original twisted shape. Instead of slicing the air they just become a sail.

My idea is to release some tension then with the use of two spoke holders dewind it. Go straight then opposite direction a full turn or so.

What if it's only a part of the spoke that is twisted, not the full length. I wonder how the hell to hold it in two places.

Any good ideas? Thank you for reading...
(These are Cn mac aero 424 spokes. I only have two with this problem. Used to ride DT champions and I like the CN 424's better.)

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You can't true bladed spokes with out a blade holder.. those spokes are toast. I'd replace them before they break on you :shock:

alcatraz

by alcatraz

sugarkane wrote:You can't true bladed spokes with out a blade holder.. those spokes are toast. I'd replace them before they break on you :shock:

C'mon... to become a sail it means they twist only 90 degrees. I remember when adding high tension to round spokes they can go over 360 degrees at times, made thousands of km after which. (yes with oil on the threads)

I am using a blade holder but these wheels came with one or two like that. I got them used.

/a

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

If they are out 90° then yeah straighten them up but if they have started to twist like Toffey then they will break in time.

joejack951

by joejack951

I used a good sized adjustable wrench that allowed me to hold a decent portion of the bladed spoke while tensioning it. I had a few spokes with a little twist after I was done which was easily corrected. I put the spoke key back on the nipple and the wrench on the blade of the spoke and turned both together until the spoke was straight.

That said, I'd be very wary of a wheel whose builder ignored the fact that the blades had twisted 90 degrees. You also claim that these spokes have been untwisted at some point but then return to a twisted state after using the wheel. Is that a correct understanding? That says to me that they've been permanently deformed. While you could likely straighten them out with no real harm done (spokes get cold formed in far worse ways than that), given the unknown history of the wheel I'd feel better replacing them, and going over the whole wheel at the same time to check the build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Thank you thank you. I'll try the method joejack951 suggested.

Cheers /a