Using Lightweights for commuting.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

durianrider

by durianrider

What would be the best pair to get? I want to run clinchers with em for the ease of repairing flats during a commute.

I will be doing a longterm review of them for youtube cos a lot of people are asking me 'how do they stand up?'. Ive no idea. Ive never even ridden a pair. What do you advise?

I will be putting them on an Azzurri frame.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Really? You want to use Lightweight wheels to commute on? All are very well built but none of them are really designed to hit potholes all day long. You may as well go total bling and ride some Fernwegs.

Alternatively how about you give the GBP3000 to charity instead
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Grill

by Grill

Lightweights for commuting = terrible idea
Lightweight clinchers instead of tubulars = also a terrible idea

But if you must then the Meilenstein are the way to go. I sure hope you're getting these for free because there are better ways to waste that much cash.

durianrider

by durianrider

Its not a true longterm review if you are getting something for free. Well maybe a drink bottle holder is ok.

I will be paying retail for these wheels. Riding them hard and long. I do ride gravel roads time to time as well.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

latman

by latman

durianrider wrote:What would be the best pair to get? I want to run clinchers with em for the ease of repairing flats during a commute.

I will be doing a longterm review of them for youtube cos a lot of people are asking me 'how do they stand up?'. Ive no idea. Ive never even ridden a pair. What do you advise?

lightweights on an Azzuri ?? really ?? (also in Australia)

Grill

by Grill

Paying retail huh? Looks like the vegan activist business is doing well.

It doesn't make sense that you're buying these just to review them. You're far better off with a set of Reynolds Thirty-Two or Enve 3.4 from a cost perspective although I find that anything other than handbuilts is a waste of cash for a daily wheel.

Lightweights on an Azzuri is very much akin to dressing a hobo in mink, but hey, your money.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

April Fool's Day was 3 days ago guy.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would not use LWs for commuting unlesss there is no one around you when riding and you can keep the bike in your office. i would not lock up the wheels as it could damage the spokes.

Svetty

by Svetty

Zakalwe wrote:April Fool's Day was 3 days ago guy.

+1

nismosr

by nismosr

Surprise to see you here Harley, love your YT channel.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Sounds great to me. I think we all would like a little research done on these wheels. Can't hurt.
Sure they're $$$$ but if you don't mind it...Great.

I can't wait to hear how things hold up. A great test/research that would be interesting for any real WW. :)

I'd get the Meilenstein Clinchers.
Go for it!

I bet they hold up just fine.

PSM

by PSM

I am more curious about how well they burn. Can you review this too?

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

You can donate the funds to me to support my college fund and reduce the amount of loans I have to pay back :)

solarider

by solarider

Commuting = wet weather, pot holes, locking your bike somewhere

On any level Lightweights are the wrong wheel choice.

Discs are the way forward for just this type of use. I run sub-1000 gram disc wheels on my bikes. Ride nicer, brake better, more repairable, more forgiving.

Even if money were no object, the ride and braking of Lightweights would rule them out as an ideal commuting wheel. Money and bling is not always a guarantee of the best horse for the best course.

gitsome

by gitsome

durianrider wrote:What would be the best pair to get? I want to run clinchers with em for the ease of repairing flats during a commute.

WILL YOU MARRY ME
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com