Oakley M2 Frame impressions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey Everyone,

Saw these at a local shop and didn't know that Oakley was coming out with a redesigned version of the M frame. The original M Frame and the Radar's have never fit me very well but found these to fit astoundingly well.

Wondering if anyone has these yet or has tried them?

Haven't found much about them online yet....
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

boots2000

by boots2000

I think they are a step back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

....In what regard? Just saying a step back isn't very helpful.

For me, they are a huge step forward with less of a vice squeeze fit, shorter temples and better lens wrap around my cheek bones.

DMF

by DMF

Edit, sorry double post.

DMF

by DMF

It's a HUGE step back in that they now only offer one lense shape. To me that was 90% of the M Frames and one major feature that made them unique on a market where looks is the only thing differing the options. I really like the bigger lense options which removed the frame almost completely out of sight.

IMO really, really, really poor move on Oakleys behalf. And in no doubt just a measure to save on production costs. To me this is the end of the M Frame... Sad, sad day.
Last edited by DMF on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

CAFERACER

by CAFERACER

I got them, only good thing about them is the original M Frame lenses fit into these frames.

I like the M Frame Strike shaped lens. The lenses that come with these are whack, super small.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

They have 1 lens option right now but is that really a guarantee that they won't release more? I remember with the Radarlock that the Path came out first and then later on they released the XL model, they never said they would or wouldn't be releasing other lens sizing....

Unless there is some press release I missed...

DMF

by DMF

Who can tell the future, but the video on their website presenting the new model seemed to suggest this was an effort to combine the best of all the previous lense shapes. I doubt we'll see five or so different lense shapes in any near future. And you can't accommodate more than one shape into one shape, one shape is always just one shape, all else is marketing BS.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

I too hope they'll release more lens options, as I don't like the current one. For me those new M2 frames look like a colorful pair of Ess Crossbow (Ess is an oakley company as well - they make military and security glasses & more).

Are they a stepback ? Well since Oakley was bought by Luxottica the entire brand is a stepback. Joke aside, I miss the hydrophobic coating featured in the first generations Radars. That was a great product. Now with their Radarlock riding in the rain is not the same anymore.

Thanks to ebay it's possible to find old Radar with the blue "H" sticker on the lens.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I just got a pair of Radarlock Tour de France edition glasses. Sad that it isn't hydrophobic coated like my older polarized Radar. Fits much better though (I made the unfortunate choice of getting Asian fit on my former one)

uraqt

by uraqt

I have only worn Oakley since 1992 both every day prescription and sports prescription and Guerdi is 100% right since the Luxottica sale they have wrecked the brand... for example all the xmetal frames are discontinued and all the "new" frames are reissues... I think all the brains left with Jim Jannard.

The story is that his wife said he was lucky with Oakley and couldn't be successful a 2nd time so he sold Oakley and is now doing this

http://www.red.com

Worlds best goggle and glass to Worlds best camera's he has some skills!!!

Anybody who thinks "we" are nuts about bikes, the real Oakley fans are out of control
http://o-review.com/forum_detail.php?ID=11934
and that is just one site there a 100's some of the new old stock glass sell for $1,000s

It's so bad for me I am stalking ebay for NOS Mpro frames : (

boots2000

by boots2000

Go for a ride in a set of M-frames or M2- then go for a ride in a set of radar/radarlock.
I think you will agree that the latter is a step forward in just about every way.

SolidSnake03 wrote:....In what regard? Just saying a step back isn't very helpful.

For me, they are a huge step forward with less of a vice squeeze fit, shorter temples and better lens wrap around my cheek bones.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

....i have done that already except for the m2, i have owned the m, radar and radarlock. Did not find the radar to be superior at all. Radar fit didnt work well for me, m's were decent but not as good as the m2's (only tried these on at store)

uraqt

by uraqt

So I have RX M pro glasses, I would be very very surprised if anyone can come up with a better solution than that for RX. Oakley was the 1st to to put RX insert in a bladed lens and that is one reason they took off in all sports there was a time were you would see RX M pro everyday on TV in almost every sport. (then Radial keratotomy came along)

Everyone knows that the radar/radarlock/Oakley glass of the week, that are worn the peloton are pined so the hinge won't close.

I know some of this is personal fit but it's never good when you have to modify you product so real people can use it in real life.

I don't even think the plastic used in the radar/radarlock frames is as good as the plastic in the m pros.

C

And now about none sport frames or lifestyle frame, for the past 3 years Oakley hasn't even made a spring hinge frame, they just brought a few models back this year. And the spring hinge makes a big difference for fit/comfort/usability for everyday all day glass.

I feel Oakley is a marketing company now and it real hurts me to say that, I still have and use every Oakley frame I have every bought. I am worried to death that when I go next month to get new RX M glasses they are not going to be to the same standard/quality as my original M pros.

mrfish

by mrfish

Oakley always was a marketing company, so nothing has changed there.

My view is that the quality of the sunglasses product needs to improve. When the man in the street can't see the difference between a $250 Oakley and a $25 Choakley (Chinese Oakley copy) which comes with 5 lenses then they have problem. Not because the man in the street will necessarily buy the Choakelys, but because he begins to question why 30g of moulded plastic should cost $250. This is a problem for the whole industry as it's unclear why glasses are not much much cheaper. That said, some Oakley products are good. Their ski goggles are a step better than mid price alternatives and the Chinese don't yet do skiing.

But overall Oakley fail to offer a truly cutting edge product and take the same shortcuts as others. For example offering clear lenses with only let 93% visible light transmission rather than a true multilayered coated lens with up to 99.9% transmission. Yes this is more expensive, but Nikon and Canon are able to sell a highly engineered camera lens with an autofocus motor and 5 or more multicoated glass elements for about the same price as a set of Oakleys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com