shimano 105 5800

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dunbar42

by dunbar42

But there's virtually no perceptible difference in feel between the two groups (in my experience.) The 11sp versions look virtually identical, except for color, so you would need to place a high value on those intangible qualities in order to pay the price difference. I calculated the weight difference on my bike at 150g between 5800 and 6800.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Right, there's no perceptible difference in feel except for brakes.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickl

by nickl

mpulsiv wrote:Crank is cold forged, rigid, stronger. Build like legendary Dura-Ace.

lol @legendary

Anyway, isn't the 105 Crankset cold-forged too? Isn't that how Shimano managed to make it hollow with the unique 4-arm shape?

F45

by F45

mpulsiv wrote:There's much more to it then weight when you choose between 105 and Ultegra.

News to me. I have both 11 spd groups and I can't tell a difference in function.

AGW

by AGW

So is it the case again of 6800 being closer to 5800 than 9000, at least in terms of function?

AGW

by AGW

Well... obviously there's some refinement as you go from one to the next, so I'm asking for subjective experiences in terms of "feel".

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

From what I can feel between the two, the tangible shifting differences are in the chain and cassette. Upgrading to a 6800 chain and cassette on a 5800 group improves the shift quality quite a bit. It also takes away some drive train noise.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

It has always been like that: you do not use chain and cassette from lower groups like 105 and SLX.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

nickl

by nickl

nickl wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Crank is cold forged, rigid, stronger. Build like legendary Dura-Ace.

lol @legendary

Anyway, isn't the 105 Crankset cold-forged too? Isn't that how Shimano managed to make it hollow with the unique 4-arm shape?

It used to be that the shift leavers (especially the downshift leaver) on 105 seemed a bit more flexible than on the higher groups. I still have a 5700 105 bike, and they feel a bit flexy to me. My Ultegra bike is Di2 though, so I can't compare easily.

mattr

by mattr

TBH, i've always found when brand new, off the shelf and up to about ~2000 miles on a groupset, the differences are *mostly* in your head. As long as it's been installed properly, decent cable runs no bodging, full groupset on a new frame type thing.

Once you get to maybe 8-10000 miles, the D-A will still be clicking away merrily, virtually no drop in performance (excepting cassette and chain, which will likely have been replaced once) rings will still almost look like new.

The ultegra will have a little bit of play and/or possibly stiffness in the shifting and braking (which no number of cable changes or blasts of oil/grease or cleaning will fix) plus the chainrings will be dying. You'll probably still be on the second chain/cassette, as per D-A. But it'll still work well enough.

The 105 shifting will be a bit vague (rear mech getting a bit sloppy), combined with play in quite a few bits, if you have sweaty hands (like me) you might already have replaced your right hand shifter (it's always the RH shifter, don't know why) the front mech might have seized, or at least be hanging up every now and again, especially if you've run it through a winter, D-A doesn't seem to do this, no matter how many winters I run it through. Cassette, Chain and chainrings will be dead, probably on your third (or even fourth) set. Brakes won't *quite* be right. And it's too much hassle to fix them.

105 will (essentially) need a good chunk of a new groupset to get it back to "as new". Ultegra might need new shifters and a good service. D-A will just need new cables.

That's my experience of running shimano for the last ~15 odd years.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

^Great breakdown (pun intended).

Oswald

by Oswald

Put a DA group and a 105 group on a crossbike and race them thru winter. Under those wet and muddy conditions you will quickly notice the difference in longevity.

mattr

by mattr

Most of the DA group will be ok for another season. The 105 will need chucking before the end of the season.........

efeballi

by efeballi

^This is news to me.
2 seasons, 19000 km and still going strong. On my 3rd chain and cassette and bought new crank at 15000 km though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Mattr,

that's exactly my experience with the range over a space of about 20yrs too.
But note too that, it really makes a difference too how you treat the parts and how hard you push on them. But like for like usage across the range, that's exactly my experience.