Dura-ace 9000: Problem switching to smallest cog-wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Without knowing how old or how much use your system has had, I would recommend peeling back the rubber hood on the lever just to check to make sure the derailleur cable hasn't started fraying at that crazy sharp bend it has to make. I spent way too much time "dialing in" a 9000 system once and it just seemed to keep getting worse. Only to find that the cable at the lever was frayed. Not an uncommon problem and now it's the first thing I check if there's any kind of shift hesitation on a previously fine system.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

villahidalgo

by villahidalgo

I had the same problem, tried adjusting and so did my LBS, and the issue was the cable fraying at the shifter. I found out the hard way, the cable snapped mid ride. Also found out the housing at the rear derailer had a bunch of crap in it from riding twice in the rain, so that was replaced too. Shifting like new now.

Cosmo31

by Cosmo31

Thx much guys- appreciate your feedback. Have also learned Shimano made a small design change to the DA shifters (ST 9001) since mine were new, so will focus on the shifter end vs derailleur.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Farther back in this thread someone asked about the chain and whether it was facing the right way. That only applies to 10 speed 7900 chains. They were asymmetrical. The 9000 11 speed chains are symmetrical. So...what chain is on this bike?

Cosmo31

by Cosmo31

Chain is brand new DA 9000, and roger that it is not directional.

KLabs

by KLabs

Try lubricating the cable where it runs through the BB guide/channel. The cable can sometimes stick as it runs through the BB guide/channel...