lightweight spoke magnets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

has anyone used these before for their spokes magnet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icarus-Black-Bi ... 3f2b54df30

i'm hoping to use this to replace the gamin one.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I have not used the spoke magnet before, but I have used the pedal magnet from the same buyer. Works great, no matter how high my cadence is, went up to 150+ before, it will not fly out. Now, as for the spokes magnet, not really a huge fan of gluing something permanently(or semi) on to a spoke. That's really up to you to decide though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks for the quick feedback.. i was thinking and worrying the same thing.. that it might just fly out. :( don't like to glue it either. so still in limbo.

for the pedal magnet.. i have sram RED.. will that work? i have the eggbeater Ti, so i think magnet won't stay put. :(

if you have a link for it that would be great.. thanks

sungod

by sungod

one for $8.99 is daylight robbery, and that's not including shipping!

it's just a rare-earth magnet, you can buy a pack of them for way less

i use 3x3x1 on a spoke, either glue (superglue gel, or epoxy) or electrical tape works fine

just looked at ebay for usa, a quick search finds 3mm round x 1mm, 100 pieces for $4.99 including shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-3X1mm-Ne ... 1405182337

for a crank magnet, again glue or tape will hold it, or if the pedal axle position is ok and magnetic, you can just put the magnet on the axle via the hole on the inside of the crank

these things are way stronger than the normal magnets supplied by garmin etc., as long as the position is correct a far smaller/lighter one will do the job

rmerka

by rmerka

You'll need something other than magnetism to get them to stick to say a CX-Ray. I bought some long skinny rectangle magnets from the guy in sungod's link. Was a good transaction. But the magnets will likely need some glue/tape/other unless your spokes have a high Fe content.

adry85

by adry85

I bought few days ago a set of magnet and with my sigma rox 8.0 they work fine!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

i use Sugru to attach anything to the bike. strong, waterproof and removable. i have attached rear tail lights onto my seat post using 1/2" rare earth magnets. never came off, plus, you can shape them while it cures to get the surface the way you want it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

go to your refrigerator front door. take off one of the circular magnets from the refrigerate magnet that you may be using. use wood glue and tape it to your rim. wait a day or so and remove tape. voila!.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

sungod wrote:.....it's just a rare-earth magnet, you can buy a pack of them for way less

I use 3x3x1 on a spoke, either glue (superglue gel, or epoxy) or electrical tape works fine.....

That's my answer. $3.35 for 10, shipped. Same deal, a little dab of construction glue, wrap with electric tape.

http://www.dx.com/p/super-strong-rare-e ... zrC253D9es

On the wheels where I'm not as concerned with the weight, I just wrap with a thin strip of duct-tape. No glue needed. Still weighs less than a regular magnet that comes with the computer.

Geoff

by Geoff

I don't get the 'no-to-glue' thing. It is easy to take the magnet off, if you need to, and provides a secure and 'clean' install (not to mention, light). It is really the easiest solution.

addictR1

by addictR1

That sugru looks like fun

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Camilo

by Camilo

For glue, common hot glue works great for semi-permanent installations of a lot of stuff. To remove it, you just heat with a heat gun or hair dryer and pop the part off. Any residual glue can be easily removed by warming it and rubbing it off. I've attached many sensors on my front fork (CF and steel) and never had one fall off and never had any damage to material or finish.

I've never used it on a spoke, but would be fairly confident that it would work fine -and if it doesn't it's not a huge loss to try something else.

I use the pedal spindle for my cadence magnet (round rare earth magnet as shown above).

addictR1

by addictR1

camilo.. did you buy it from the same store posted in this link? not sure if this store is legit or not?

http://www.dx.com/Errors/404?aspxerrorp ... zrC253D9es

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I second gluing onto the spoke. I've glued magnets for SRM's to my BB area before as well as glued magnets onto spokes if they are bladed. Have lost one or two racing on cobbles in crap weather, and one off the frame when the team mechanic was washing my bike down.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

addictR1 wrote:camilo.. did you buy it from the same store posted in this link? not sure if this store is legit or not?

http://www.dx.com/Errors/404?aspxerrorp ... zrC253D9es

Dx is probably the biggest store on the internet after Alibaba. Never had a problem with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com