Bitex front hub bearing removal 2 x 699 hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromage

by fromage

Hi all,

Just a quick question as it has come round to bearing removal on my Bitex front hubs, where as I usually tap the axle through and replace the bearings that way on these wheels the end caps actually seem to be the axle ends so leave nothing to tap though.

So the question is how do I remove my old bearings from these wheels?

Thanks

James

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

If removing the end caps means there's no axle left, then you remove the bearings the same way you do it on their rear hubs (and motorcycle hubs).
Push the central bearing spacer to one side so you can get a drift on the inner race of a bearing and tap it. Move the spacer to the other side and tap that. If you move the bearing at all
the spacer will get loose and be easy to move around. Do it with the hub on a solid surface which will allow the bearing to come out. I often use a socket.

fromage

by fromage

Thanks for the reply.

I'm unable to see how to push the bearing spacer (is this the actual hollow axle that runs through the middle?) to one side. The inner race of the bearing is flush with the axle the whole way round so unable to 'tap' it out from hitting the inner race.

eric

by eric

If you can see the bearing IDs (the bore) then the thing between them is a spacer. An axle by definition goes through the bearing ID bores. The spacer is a simple tube that is trapped between the bearing inner races. That's what's in the rear hub so I expect the front to be the same.

You don't push the spacer out to get to the bearings, you move it aside.
I use a screwdriver with a dull tip to push one end of the spacer to the side just enough to get my bearing-tapping-out tool on to the inner race. Then tap. Then move the spacer to the other side so you can tap that side. Usually with two taps the bearing has moved enough that the spacer is loose so I can easily move it from side to side as I tap the bearing out the rest of the way.

The spacer in the rear hub is a thin aluminium tube so be gentle with it.