Need lightweight tool

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Can someone help recommend me so lightweight tools?

I want to replace the following:
CO2 pump with 2 cartridge (163g) with hand pump

Blackburn multitool (138g)

Any suggestions? I plan to remove my saddle bag and hopefully find a lightweight bag to put all these with my park patch ans tubes.

Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Which tool functions do you need?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Multi-tools for road bikes (no chain tool) can be found 35-50 grams. I hate to say "Google it", but pick whichever lightweight one fits your bike's needs.

Weightweenie pumps can be had for 39 grams/$20.
http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Bicycle-Hand- ... B000X5ZKMU

I can't say I'd want a pump that requires a press hold, and 3-500 strokes to get back on the road. There are now lightweight options (I saw a Bontrager branded one"air rush pro" 68 grams) that is a lightweight pump AND allows use of CO2.

Edit: Google this pump, I have no experience with it: http://www.bikesweets.com/Barbieri_NANA ... i-nana.htm

If you want to keep all your stuff in a bag/seatbag, it's tough to beat the little Blackburn Barrier. I weighed one in a store, 22 grams. Waterproof. Shockingly light. Hardly makes it worth giving up a seatbag.
Last edited by BikeAnon on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

I just ordered a Lezyne HP drive medium, it's 90 grams and I have & love the HV version for my MTB. It has a hose that screws onto the valve.

I carry a very small multi-allen tool (Topeak?), tire levers, a light inner tube and a few patches and glue.

lannes

by lannes

Topeak Mini 9 Pro, should cover most emergencies

http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Too ... 9pro_black

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Lezyne C5 carbon folding tool covers the basics at 45 grams. I tend to carry the Lezyne C10 carbon which has a chain tool and still only hits 80 grams.

cht

by cht

I just picked up Fix It Sticks which I'll use for both my back pocket and tool box. Neat tool with great reviews. Light and versatile. More so than the compact tool kit offerings.

http://www.fixitsticks.com/

Svetty

by Svetty

madcow wrote: I tend to carry the Lezyne C10 carbon which has a chain tool and still only hits 80 grams.

+1

addictR1

by addictR1

Where can I score one of those C10 for cheap?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

I prefer a saddle bag- I leave it (and the pump) on the bike so they're not forgotten. I've done that and had to walk home.
It also leaves more room in the pockets for clothes and food. I do a lot of long rides and need to carry a lot of food.

I like the Lezyne Road Drive (medium). It works really well as a pump, much better than the light weight pumps I have used. Even with my skinny climbers arms I can get the tire up to full pressure. And having a hose makes it so much easier to actually use without leaking or even breaking the valve stem off. Don't get a Lezyne pump that is intended for MTB use unless you have really strong arms. They pump more volume but require more force to get to a high pressure.

I used the old Ritchey CPR-9 tool. They're 58g and have a chain tool in addition to the usual stuff. I wish they still made them. I have never needed the chain tool myself but other people on group rides have. I also made some emergency spoke wrenches which only weigh about 2g each. (the CPR-9 has a spoek wrench but I have used it enough to round it out some). I have a Blackburn Toolmanator-12 (108g) on the rain bike.

How much tool you need depends on the rides you do and if you have people who are willing to come pick you up if you're stuck. I ride to some remote places where cell phones don't work, and even when they do I am reluctant to call for help unless I really need it.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Eric, I had a couple of those Ritchey tools about a decade ago that were a ltd edition 15 version they did in full titanium, I think they were right around 40 grams with the chain tool and I absolutely loved them. They even had the 15mm socket for square taper cranks and a separate pedal wrench. I think that may have been the best portable tool ever made. I'd love to get a version of that updated for more modern needs.

aaric

by aaric

The lezyne v5 weighs 50 grams - 5 more than the carbon version, and costs ~$60 less.

I'd wager you can save weight elsewhere for less than $12/gram ;)

addictR1

by addictR1

edit: nvmd.. saw the other tread on discussing that..
Last edited by addictR1 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

timj wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1112972433/ipump-the-lightest-air-pump-ever-invented

You can just take a syringe and an aquarium hose, lighter, cheaper and will work just as good :mrgreen: :D