Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Mega G3 vs Fulcrum Racing Zero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rg255

by rg255

graeme_f_k wrote:I've ridden both a lot - given what I do for a living, no surprise there.

The Shamals have a fractionally better torsional stiffness than do the Fulcrums - that's down to the spoke groupings and the way that they transmit tension through the wheel. It's a subtle and for most, almost irrelevant detail.

Apart from that, performance-wise the wheels are very similar.

They are not the most comfortable wheels over long distances / poor surfaces that Campagnolo make - Neutron Ultras (in this sort of price bracket) every day of the week for that.

If you are looking at clinchers, you can run 25s on the Shamals and that does take some of the sting out of the tail.

Pricing of Fulcrum vs Campagnolo is just down to distribution and the way the UK market works (well, with the internet, the world market, really) ... Campagnolo gets raped by the box movers, Fulcrum less so.

Some other great options discussed here but from a servicing perspective, Campag / Fulcrum are very low-maintenance when used for what they are made for ...

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd - Campagnolo main UK SC

I think you've just sold me the Neutron Ultras - considering most of the riding I do is long distance then increased comfort and lower price is a definite winning combination!
Currently upgrading 2010 Specialized Allez Sport Triple (Soon the only original parts will be the frame & forks!)
2014: Skandisloppet 156 km, Gran Fondo Stockholm 150 km, Vätternrundan 300 km.
186cm, on-season ~71kg (80kg in the off), 41 bpm HR

sawyer

by sawyer

rg255 wrote:
graeme_f_k wrote:I've ridden both a lot - given what I do for a living, no surprise there.

The Shamals have a fractionally better torsional stiffness than do the Fulcrums - that's down to the spoke groupings and the way that they transmit tension through the wheel. It's a subtle and for most, almost irrelevant detail.

Apart from that, performance-wise the wheels are very similar.

They are not the most comfortable wheels over long distances / poor surfaces that Campagnolo make - Neutron Ultras (in this sort of price bracket) every day of the week for that.

If you are looking at clinchers, you can run 25s on the Shamals and that does take some of the sting out of the tail.

Pricing of Fulcrum vs Campagnolo is just down to distribution and the way the UK market works (well, with the internet, the world market, really) ... Campagnolo gets raped by the box movers, Fulcrum less so.

Some other great options discussed here but from a servicing perspective, Campag / Fulcrum are very low-maintenance when used for what they are made for ...

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd - Campagnolo main UK SC

I think you've just sold me the Neutron Ultras - considering most of the riding I do is long distance then increased comfort and lower price is a definite winning combination!

Consider Zondas also ... best VFM in the Campag range ... said by a guy who has owned too many of their wheels.

Weigh the same as Neutrons ... and about 60% of price
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com